I Forge Iron

Hardy hole size?

Fly

I plan to machine a hole for my make shift anvil. What is the most common size square hole with hardy holes. I plan to make most 

of my own tooling, but some I may just buy. I want to keep this the most standard for that reason. 

Fly

Hardy Hole size seems to be correlated with anvil size; example:  I have 3 large anvils with 1.5" hardy holes; however around 1" is the most common size for anvils I have found here in the USA; though 7/8" and 3/4" I have also seen.  For my large Fisher with two 1.5" hardy holes I have made a drop in adapter from nesting square tubing that allows me to use 1" hardy tooling in it.

A little trick I saw Joey van der Steeg use to easily tighten a loose hardy stem is to wrap it with a bit of duct tape. Sounds like blasphemy but it works a treat taking out some of those annoying little wiggles, and last surprisingly a long time. 

Steve

I have a couple of pieces of angle iron to shim a hardy hole that doesn't need the sq tubing.  Some if very thin; thin sheet metal cut with tin snips. I cut down the bend a bit and then forge the lips out to rest on the anvil---helps keep it from dropping through when inserting the hardy stem.

I've probably done all of these at one time or another. I've used solder like Iron Dragon used copper I've used wood shim stock or splits of cedar shingles. Copper flashing. Cardboard. Steel wool. Whatever is within arm's reach when I'm looking for a solution. All with varying degrees of success and longevity. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Steve

• 2 months later...

I'm planning to make a fullering tool and I am thinking of making the hardie like this so I can drive a wedge to firm it up. I understand some hardie tools you want to be able to install and remove quickly but that would not be the case with a fullering tool. What do you think? (Idea and picture credit to Black Bear Forge)

fuller hardy.jpg