I Forge Iron

An Interesting Way of Making Charcoal

I was on Youtube the other day and saw this video in my suggestions, after ignoring it for a while, I decided to watch it and was pleasantly surprised. The creator makes charcoal in a cone shaped bowl, which allows the wood to burn, but as more wood is added, the burnt wood underneath does not receive air and is turned into charcoal. I thought it was an interesting way of making charcoal and one I had never heard of before. 

I also think this video and many of his other videos are worth watching because he has the same heart/mindset of many of us here, CREATE! He has a small, working railway in his backyard that he uses to make life easier. He has a (sketchy) woodchipper run off a steam engine, and some other equipment run off the engine as well. Pretty interesting fellow!

I suppose this is might be a more efficient direct method but I notice he doesn't say a  word about return. It was also clear when he took the retort off the fire that it pyrolysis wasn't complete and when he opened it it was still packed pretty solid. 

Perhaps if the hopper were more acute it would work better but a retort is so easy to make and use I'll give this one a pass. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I maybe should have clarified that the main way he is making charcoal is with the steel cone, I think he was trying to use the otherwise wasted heat from the burn to make more charcoal in the retort. But yes, this is basically a fancy way of making a hole in the ground and burning wood in it.

His retort was a very poorly done attempt to show a retort doesn't work as well and a failed argument. No argument is honest if deliberately made to fail. Unless of course the person making the argument doesn't know how it works.

Frosty The Lucky.