I Forge Iron

Buffalo Railroad forge

jlpservicesinc

Picked up a Buffalo Railroad forge last week..   These did not usually come with a hand blower..  Someone modified the arm to fit it and the blower..  champion 400..  Blasphemy..  LOL.. Blower turns nice.. 

This one has the cast in step up for the firepot.  Model 49H I believe. 

The sheet for the coal storage is missing and and both side shelds and pivot arms are missing..  it does have some cracking on one corner 

20220831_164949.jpg

20220831_165254.jpg

20220831_165300.jpg

20220831_165306.jpg

George,. TW..     the forge was designed to be lined with clay just like the others of the day..     So the firepot sits on a 4" cast iron lip all around it. The clay and firebrick are basically put in to the heights of the cutouts on the sides.. 

the lining is old furnace  cement and was used to make the firepot smaller..    This type of forge is terrible for general work..  It would take a 5 gallon pail of coke to even come close to filling the pot. 

They would be perfect for heavy work..   A 3lbs wrought hammer would be considered light work for this forge.. :) 

TW, it is huge..  The model above this is the one I wanted for years and years..  But the price on this was right..  paid 350 for the forge, blower and a few pairs of tongs.. 

Not sure What I will use it for..   I did want to put in a forge large enough to heat up 3 or 400lbs anvils for redressing, facing and such..  

This model has the cast legs.. 

Buffalo Forge Co Catalog No 801.pdf

From the looks of it, I betcha it froze and is why it cracked.. 10 or 15 or more years of heavy ice is hard to hold up to. 

I have a Champion RR forge that the previous owner accidentally burnt a section of RR rail in two in it.  Nicest large one I've seen was a professional smith who had theirs lined with firebrick set in clay that met the cutouts in the forge pot.   Billy is trying to figure a way to get it from me; but I can't hitchhike with it to get to his place...