I Forge Iron

Using metal files as stock

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct heading. I saw there was a subforum under 'Problem Solving' titled "What can I make from ..." but there wasn't a way to create a post in there.

I tried a few different ways of searching the forum site for info on this and all I'm finding is info on forging a knife from a file or how to check for hardness. 

Here's my question:

I'm heading to an estate sale tomorrow morning and one of the pictures shows a box full of metal files. No idea how old or what the maker info is or anything. If I'm not going to use them to make a knife (the closest I'd get might be letter openers?) are they worth picking up for use as stock for whatever random project that would otherwise call for flat steel? 

If so, is there anything I need to know before I just start heating it up and beating on it? 

Oh, one more question - could I turn it into a square bar by setting it on edge & hammering down? (flipping to keep from cupping)
If I can make a square from a flat, then I could use it for just about anything on my list of beginner projects!

Ive seen a lot of neat things made from files and rasps! I’d definitely go for em if the price is right!

ive got a few saved aside myself that I plan on making tomahawks outta this fall,

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is keep ‘em away from water or your project can crack,

High Carbon steels are much harder to forge than mild steels, problems with them burning from too hot and cracking from too cold and harder under the hammer.  You may want to pick them up for FUTURE use; but I would NOT suggest using them for beginner projects designed to be made from mild steel!

Shaina, one thing to keep in mind about using files and rasps for stock is that it is impossible to forge the teeth out.  If you want a smooth finish, on, say, a knife blade, you will need to draw the temper from the file and them grind or file the teeth away and start with a smooth blank.  Or, you can incorporate the teeth into the design, e.g. Thomas' rasple snakes.  Or, I have seen knives with the ghost of the file teeth on the side of the blade which informs the viewer that this was once a file.

Generally, old files are better for blacksmithing than the new ones which may be weird alloys or have odd heat treating.

I'm glad to see that you are enjoying getting into the craft and are participating in the forum.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Files are easy to find. Almost every swap meet or yard sale. Depending the amount of files In the box and their condition , a dollar a piece may be too much. 

I would just wait and pick up one or two here and there to have. Wait on a big amount of them until you have a use for them