I Forge Iron

Clay as a satanite alternative for coating ceramic wool

So, I'm gonna be building a furnace with wool. Satanite is possible, but logistically annoying for me to get. So, knowing that satanite is a type of clay, I've looked over the msds and ... It's chemically very similar to ye olde cone 6 stoneware. Any reason why I can't just make up some clay slip and use it in a similar manner to satanite for coating kaowool? I could even use a grogged raku clay which should in theory be less likely to crack from heat. Understandably, the manufacturer is a bit vague about what exactly makes satanite different from clay.

The problem you're going to run into is that a gas forge routinely cycles between room temperature and a couple thousand degrees F. Those temperature changes are going to wreck your stoneware right quick.

We generally recommend springing for the real thing rather than trying to save a few pennies on homemade refractories. They are designed for the task, are much more durable (saving you time on repairs and replacement), and hold in the heat much better (saving you money on fuel). 

Also, welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. If I remember right Satanite contains Alumina 59% and Silica 35% along with other ingredients. We coated our rigidized K-o-Wool with it but it was a heat sink, taking a long time to get the forge up to heat. We wound up coating the Satanite with Bubble Alumina, made a big difference in the forges performance.