I Forge Iron

Forge bed

ChrisL

I was lucky enough to buy an old bellows forge a few weeks ago.

I’ve stripped it down, removed the rust, and repainted. Now it’s time to use it and I’m not sure what to do next. From what I’ve seen, I think I need some kind of bed at the bottom . But some people say that needs to be fire brick, others suggest using sand. Sand sounds much easier and I have a bag of sharp sand left over from a building project. Would that work?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

I've seen this type for sale some times over here, maybe even this exact one as I've seen one for sale recently that looked a lot like this one. I think you are supposed to put in dirt or sand to create your firepot kind of like a JABOD. 

~Jobtiel

Hope I'm doing this right. I'm a bit of a newbie so may get it wrong, please set me straight if I do.

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I was quite pleased how it turned out in the end.

I think I was lucky as it was in such good condition to start with.

JHCC, I'll take a photo of the lettering later tonight and post it up tomorrow. Sorry for the dumb question, I was planning to just pour a layer of sand, about 1'' deep, in the bottom of the hearth. Does that sound OK?

Chris

I prefer clayey soil just damp enough to pack hard with a mallet or the end of a piece of framing lumber. Sand vitrifies into glass and few things are as sticky as molten glass. 

I'm confused by the general shape of your forge I've never seen one though. I don't understand the bent steel that restricts the size of the fire in a large shielded round pan, what it does or how it works.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks to me like you could easily fill it up to the rim, leaving a hollow in front of the tuyere for the fire. That helps concentrate the heat in one place rather than spreading all over.

That L-shaped piece is odd, and it's going to be very much in the way. I suspect that the brackets you've mounted it to were originally keeping some firebrick in place on the bottom and not shifting around.

Thanks so much for all the guidance. My wife has some old potters clay that she hasn't used, so I'm going to give that a go.

I think you are right, the large L shaped metal plate is removable, so I guess it allowed for a concentrated fire maybe for horseshoes, or if removed, a larger one. 

Close up photo's below. 

Chris

closeup.jpg

closeup1.jpg

If your wife also has some grog left over from her ceramics efforts I would mix a very generous amount into the clay as well.  This will help with the inevitable shrinkage you are going to see when the clay dries.   As Frosty noted, try to put the clay in as dry as possible, then let it dry completely before firing your forge.