I Forge Iron

How many pounds and how wide is your anvil?

My anvil is a piece of railroad rail on end. I didn't weigh it but I don't struggle to pick it up so I'm guessing around 50#. The main hammering area is 1.5" x 3.5". I also sometimes hammer on the webbing because it has the best rebound, but it's only 3/4" wide and about 4" long. 

For reference, the bar in this photo is a 3/8" round that I was hammering square. 

IMG_20220828_151435 (Small).jpg

My anvil is a chunk of steel I picked up many years ago. I.m just wondering if it’s going to work?  

Fly

Some one must be sick, to flag my for this. That is plan WRONG!  Fly I may not be back, I must go cool down  & give this 

some thought. Some one here ##### never mind. Fly & by!

How big is it? Got a picture of it? 

Typically if it has some mass to it and you can hammer on it it could work. Where you hit the metal is just the size of your hammer face. If the anvil is a little bigger than that with mass under it, it will work. 

A sledgehammer head stood on end will work for an anvil for smaller work. 

Size all depends on the needs of what you are forging. 

Anvils currently "in use" in my shop and on the road teaching/demoing:

Y1K style:                                         25#          face: 4"x4"

Improvised, rectangular solid:        87#                    5.25" x 5.875"

Arm and Hammer, (NOT Vulcan!):  91#                   13.25"  x 3.625"

Peter Wright 1:                                112#                   15" x 3.75"

Hay Budden 1:                                134#                   15.25" x 3.875"

PW 2:                                              163#                   15.625" x 4.374"

HB 2:                                              165#                    16.25" x 4.125"  Currently the "shop anvil"

Trenton:                                         400+#???            23.5" x 5.75"    No markings, caplet depression in the base, never weighed

Fisher:                                           469#                     22" x 6"  (Blacker power hammer anvil) Second "shop anvil" for heavy work

Bridge anvil                                   250#???                25" x 6.75"  Cable tool bit re-forging anvil from old oilfield use, very worn!

Powell                                            140#?                   ? x?  on loan so no dimensions

Tough paint as well. It is still yellow ;)

I have a farewell present at my previous job. A shaft of a drilling machine ( for the frostys a liebherr lr385). It is 85cm long (excact what i need as height). Diameter is 110 mm with a chamfer so the top i use is 100mm.

Stuck it in a bucket filled with sand for stability.

• 1 month later...