I Forge Iron

Frozen Shaft on 100# Fairbanks Hammer

I have a 100# Fairbanks that went through a fire. It appeared to weather the fire pretty well, unfortunately it was outside (under a tarp) for a year while I rebuilt. The shaft will not turn ( I am not really sure if could be turned then). So now, I am not sure if the shaft rusted/welded itself to the steel bushing.  I removed all of the other parts and they all look good with no obvious distortions. even the brass bushings on the pitman look good.  I have been dripping PB Blaster into the oil ports for a year and tapping regularly but no luck. The oil does seem to eventually flow away into the oil hole. Since this machine does not have pillow blocks I cannot just lift it off. 

I am considering buying a 1,000,000 btu weed burner to heat up the whole shaft head assembly. There is a 5" cast steel outer casting holding a 3" diameter steel bushing which the shaft goes through. I am wondering if I make an enclosure/forge around the head with kaowool and use the weedburner to heat the space will I get all of that mass hot enough to expand the parts enough to make a difference. I was opening to heat/cool/oil and repeat until I can get it to move. 

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

I would be wary of using heat. Before doing that I would make a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. It is way better than PB Blaster in freeing up rusted parts. Maybe a picture of the frozen shaft would help. I'm not familiar with the Fairbanks hammer.

Good Morning Steve,

I was just remembering how a frozen water line was/is unthawed (doesn't work on plastic pipe). Connect a stick welder negative to one end, connect the positive to the other end. Crank the current down low. Turn the welder on and slowly adjust the current up, until water flows. Why can't you do something similar to the seized shaft, warm it up to break the rust free. No Flame!!

Neil

The hammer probably has babbit bearings which may have melted in the fire.  I have seen Fairbanks hammers before but cant conjure up a visual of the problem area you are having.  Can you post any pictures?  Another place you can ask is at the practical machinist antique tool forum.  Sorry that I can't post a link to it here as it is not allowed.

antique-machinery-and-history.19

Rather than heating the casings you can try chilling the shaft with dry ice. You can insulate with fiberglass and hold it against the shaft with a trash bag. You want the blocks warmer than the shaft so they expand away from the shaft. The shaft shrinking away from the blocks is the same thing. 

A little creative carpentry with plywood and you can heat sand in the oven to a safe temperature say 350-400f and pour it around the blocks to warm ONLY them. 

Perhaps combine the two. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Surprisingly enough it doesn't take much heat. From rebuilding a few VW engines and putting the cam drive gear back onto the crank a coffee cup warmer usually did the trick. I think I would use a damp rag in the freezer and wrap that around the end of the crank while the gear was heating up. That little bit of difference was enough it would slide right on and lock up solid once the temp evened out. 

Obviously you're on a much bigger scale than a little VW crankshaft, so don't drop any of that on your toes ;)

After seeing the picture I think I would attempt to use heat on the bearing areas and have a long bar clamped to the flywheel for added leverage.  Do you have a rosebud type heating tip?  As noted above, it does not take much heat and I don't think any cooling of the shaft would be required.  The transfer of heat between the two parts would be slow enough that the shaft would not get warm enough to expand much.  You may find that a bar on the flywheel and more penetrating type oils (my favorite is Kroil) might work without any heat.

Oh Lordy NO,:o NOT 1,000f!  Red heat can actually change the size and possibly shape of the blocks permanently! I don't know if a couple hundred degrees will be enough seeing as it's rusted together and freeing up small section might be enough to relieve the tension without freeing the shaft and bushings. It won't take a lot though, especially if you can chill the shaft. 

Being short makes it easier to apply dry ice by packing the ends, the pully and crank plates will provide a lot of contact and conduct heat from the shaft nicely. Better, they're close to the blocks and bushings. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Got it, sounds like a large weedburner head will be enough heat. I like the idea of on the outside and then dropping dry ice on the shaft. 

Gazz, that was my thought. I have two 1/2" bolts that I tapped into the center area of the pulley. I thought to lay the machine on its side and attach a lever to the bolts so I can bounce the shaft while heating and cooling. Hope it works. 

Thanks All

Just a suggestion but could you use something on the nature of a gear puller (or pusher) to put lateral force on the shaft rather than just rotational force?  Also, I second the suggestion of a 50/50 blend of automatic transmission fluid and acetone as a penetrating oil.  I have seen tests where it works as well or better than the best commercial penetrants.  And a lot cheaper, too.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is a loose metal sleeve over the exposed shaft section between the two bushings. I think it is there to allow some safety separation from the spinning shaft. I caulked each end closed and added that vertical pipe to be a penetrating oil resevoir so that oil could flow towards where the shafts enter the bushings.

Large shaft puller? If you have a turned shaft and the pully/flywheel have 2 or 3 equally bolt holes that’s what they are designed for. 
sorry old mechanic. I have rebuilt the transfer case and rear differential as well as replaced the steadying wheel on my Samurai this summer. The old Bering puller set has had a work out! 
speaking of automotive. I have used the freezer and oven trick more than once. 

I am going to try pulley the pulley with a porta bar attached to the two bolts I tapped into the inner rim of the pulley. hope 10 tons is sufficient. Wondering if I should heat first, hesitating because it will make attaching the porta bar a little more challenging when the pulley is 500 degrees