I Forge Iron

Temporary stand

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YEah iam woried they will get chiped  if hit on horn or heel.

I find horn part good when you want to twist tongs, for example one to change side of piece just bring it near horn and you can on that circle side rotate tongs.

That stand scars me Nat it looks WAY too tippy. Find or make something good, use that one for firewood. You do NOT want your anvil falling on your or heavens forbid someone else's foot! Try visualizing your anvil tipping off the stand and landing point first on your foot and embedding itself in the floor! There you are, literally spiked to the floor in too bad a position to lift it off and out and in SEVERE pain until someone investigates the screaming. :o Hmmmm?

Look at the stands made by screwing lumber together on end, take old pallets apart if you have to. I do NOT want to hear you're in the hospital recovering from a lost foot!

Frosty The Lucky.

Beyond safety, you will have a lot of energy loss to vibration. For me, the most critical deal is having the anvil securly attached to the stand and the stand securely attached to the ground. If your anvil moves on the stump, there is a loss of force. Same goes for the stump to ground. 

It looks looks you have a dirt forge. I'd consider a single piece stump and bury it about 2' in the ground and tamp it well. 

I've found that if you chisel your anvil into the stump with a tight fit and deep enough to put a couple inches in, your anvil is easy to level and the sand helps to deaden the sound.

Well about safety things i didnt tought about that raaly i didnt find it that it will tip toward me . I have those angle iron to hold it a bit.

About option screwing together lumbers iam not able to do that.

But we will have some stumps for couple of weeks and  iam afraid i wont have enaugh lenght for anvil.

Is it good to add two stumps and nail them together?

Lets say i have good width but i dont have height nailing two stumps together to get height is good option??

No no anvil there is concrate under stump.

What is the issue with screwing together dimensional lumber?  I've done a handful of that type using scrap lumber, a brace and bit and running some all thread or scrounged electric pole fittings.  No fancy tools needed if you are doing the work---I could probably make one just by burning the holes through!

746186562_anvil_stumpTall(2).thumb.JPG.220323d21f7d8c6b493d32db08008614.JPG

Well i have one inch thick board so its kinda issue. Your is 2 inch thick.

And about anvil does anvil need to be level i see yours is a litle bit lean on side, will anvil get damaged if hammered on uneven stand.

Well this week iam second shift so i wont do any blacksmithing so iam safe for now, but next time 110 ibs 50 kg anvil will get stump like birch one. I noticed it is good to have wider stand like 1/4 than anvil , so you can put hardie tools hammers etc.

The "lean" is just the picture and the dirt floor; they are in storage till my next class this fall.   The boards are 1.5" thick by x 11" wide; what is sold in the USA as a 2"x12".  If you wanted too you could add some glue and use 1/8" thick boards... Stop telling yourself you can't and start figuring out how to do things!

Also: anvils were often sold with a lean in them, I don't see the problem. (The old ones were free handed under steam hammers and earlier by teams of men with sledge hammers!)

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Could you split the stump in two pieces and haul it 1  by 1  and then glue/strap  it back together?

Tehnicliy it is posible but you need to plane two surfaces good so glue can stick to them.

Heres my solution to a too small stump. I have an alaskan mill for my chainsaw, but its not needed. 3 cuts on the log, a handfull of all thread,some hand forged washers, buried into the ground, and the anvil notched into the top of the log. It even held a couple inches of fine sand to set my anvil into. No exterior fittings needed to hold the anvil firmly into place. Lol, it has the added feature of a cool shape. I don't usually hang too much stuff on the stump, but there is plenty of room on the two flat surfaces. And no plane needed.

Forging 'J' Bolts06.JPG

A good clean split will glue just fine without planing!  Of course if the original stump was chosen from wood that doesn't make a good clean split then it would not be a useful method.  If you spent as much time figuring out how to make things work instead of why they won't work; you would be much further along.  Good Luck!

That's Thomas's point Nat. If you count all the reasons not to do something say waiting for the "right" thing you'll spend more time waiting than doing. 

Looking for the, perfect, best, right, etc. tool, technique, etc. is a common beginner mistake on a couple points. First, right, best, etc. is subjective. Your "right, best, etc." really only applies to YOU and you can NOT know what they are until you've been doing it long enough to find out. Ah, forget the other points. 

You are only born with ONE thing, time and it's one way,  you can't save it up, there are no extensions or loans. You get what you get and you do NOT know how much until the clock hits zero. I know you're young and think you have forever but . . . 

After a while we old farts start looking other places to invest what time we have left rather than nit pick things with people who would rather waste time looking for the magical mythic Perfect.

Frosty The Lucky.

A good way to look at it is there are often more ways to do most anything, but rarely are all ways equal. Often the difference is situational. So the more ways you know, combined with experience is a good thing.  

The name of my new shop is "Phoenix Rising". That should explain how I look at mithic.  Lol, I still believe a forge weld is mostly magic.  ;) 

Well from my espirience sometimes is better wait and its cheaper in time and in money then rush to temporary solution (build with what you have) if you build something that will be waste of time money and nerves.
And you have to destroy it and make more quality tool /thing.

There is poverb in my country "You dont make pie out of garbage" sometimes its good to improvise iam not saying its not, but sometimes its waste of time.

• 1 month later...