I Forge Iron

Test

Fly

Well I think maybe I tried using my smileys maybe was the problem. Any way I,m thinking about making a trench charcoal 

forge for my first one. I will make a gas forge in the future but this with get me started on learning this craft. My thoughts 

on a trench forge was using lump home made charcoal & maybe just wood at times. I live in a hard wood forest in eastern okla 

and have a charcoal retort. My thoughts are welding a steel frame & mounting fire bricks on a 45 or 30 degree angle with a

Pipe air supply with drilled holes as a gate valve air control. What are your thoughts to my plan? 

Fly:rolleyes:  

I would consider a side blast forge for Charcoal. Might look through the JABOD thread for more ideas.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52623-anatomy-and-a-brief-history-of-simple-side-blast-forges/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/267-jabod-just-a-box-of-dirt/

I started a side blast a while ago but life has gotten in the way of finishing it. I really need to get going on it again by lining it with clay. Wow hard to believe it's been 4 years since I made it this far.

100_1998.thumb.JPG.57652b0154227918df112c1fff6d6eca.JPG

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add picture

I hear the wind singing . . .  JABOD! (Just A Box Of Dirt) No need to get fancy, a box of dirt is easy to make and change as you're skills grow and you learn what you need and want in a forge. Building a masonry forge for your first will lock you into something that might not work for you.

SCRATCH what I just deleted, Randy's links are much better threads. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Tho I use red brick and hard fire brick to augment my side blasts and JBODS, I have a habit of melting them. 
building a permanent forge, using brick for the hearth is fine but not the fire pot. It’s easy to build one out of steel plate, but traditionally it was a box filled with fly ash and clinker.