I Forge Iron

Socket axe

Hi all,

I like making axes, and I want to practice forge welding further, so I'm looking at making a socket axe most produced in scandinavia.

something akin to this:

1764276122_R(2).jpeg.db2facfb396d5a74606c72a7d59f461f.jpeg

Do you have any idea on what the starting thickness of the material would be best suited for something like this, I have some 8 mm (.3 inches) flat bar which is wide enough to get the starting pattern out, but I'm not sure if the thickness is sufficient. Do any of you have experience with these kinds of axes? 

Thanks.

~Jobtiel

I believe that James Austin has been experimenting with forging these axes for a while.  If I remember correctly he has a visual storyboard online somewhere that goes through the process.  Hopefully you already have experience forging axes and forge welding, as this is by no means an easy project.

I have experience forging and forge welding axes, but it's not like I'm an expert. I'll have to look that up and see if there are mentions of preferred stock sizes, thanks!

I want to see if I can get the forge welds, I have been nailing them pretty consistently lately and have done quite some good welds on projects, I guess this is just to see how far along I am with forge welding as I want to get good at it. plus the axe looks really nice so I'd be happy to own one that I made.

~Jobtiel

If you will be forge welding it, you don't want to start with overly thick stock like you might do with punching and drifting an eye.  Thickest I would use is a bit over  1/2 the thickness at the thickest solid spot right in front of the eye.  The poll will be another forge welded piece.

Check James Austin's Blog: http://forgedaxes.com/blog/  and don't miss out on the links.  He doesn't specifically note the stock he uses, but the details on the process are invaluable.  Note that James is a world class traditional axe forger, and even he indicates that this is a difficult project.  Also, he usually works with a team of, at minimum, a striker and director...