I Forge Iron

looking for wheelwright in TN or adjacent states who might need a tire bender

josef

I'm curious of the general value of these things.  Theres one at a garden center near here and they want usd$ 350 for it.  I could buy enough steel for that to make a few crude hossfeld type benders and maybe a big ring roller if I had me old shop.  Of course theres the historical and bragging rights to go with it.

I think I posted a picture of the one I ran across on the garden thread a while back.  Sorry Charles, I guess I forgot to mention I have machine tools.  Just no shop.  It's all in storage.  I didn't mean to get your dander up.  Just wondering about the value of them.  Maybe I will run down there and buy it.

If by tire bender you mean a roller, it works in any shop. If you mean tire shrinker, they are often mixed up, then they are great yard art and not very useful, even in a modern wheelwright shop. When a tire is well used, but not worn out, it gets drawn out. Then its too big for the wheel. This tool clamps a curved tire in two places so you can upset it back to a correct diameter. Lol, a rare state in our world today,,, this year anyway.  

Anvil,  I'm going back there after work tomorrow for a look-see.  I'm no longer sure if it's a roller or a clamp, now that you mention it.  

Billy, it's a crazy place.  They have the supposedly world's largest collection of cast iron kettles.  Come visit fabulous NC sometime and I will show you.  :)