I Forge Iron

Using Copper Wire as a Decorative Element

Hello, just wondering if you guys had any experience or pictures on using copper on your ironwork. I have done some research trying to find other threads or posts, but have found none. I have thought about doing some wire wrapping on a split cross, specifically around the hole in the center, but have also thought about splitting a split cross' arms and making a dragonfly out of it, and then maybe adding copper wire as legs. Before I start messing around with all of that, I was hoping for some clarification. Also, does beeswax work as a good finish on copper?

Thanks,

Will

Yes, i have no pics right now but  have used copper for various things. Copper plumbing caps for on handles for engraving chisels, small garden tools, etc. where the tennon goes into a wood handle. Copper wired wrapped on steel for towel bars, paper towel holders, etc. The trick is to get the ends tucked. 

The vertical spike is split, then the cross arm's are forged down & cut off to fit in the slit overlapping, then all is forge welded together.

I usually use a finer wire scavenged from windings out of old dead motors. I take twice as much wire as I will need and double it. Then clamp the two loose ends in a vise and the other end in an electric or hand cranked drill. Hold the wire taught and spin the drill to evenly twist the two together. Makes for a little fancier wrap, kinda like the wire wrapped sword handles. That cross I was out of the fine wire and used 14 ga electric wire.

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add about the wire.

I've chiseled grooves in hand forged items, thoroughly cleaned them out, fluxed with borax and melted copper and brass into them and dressed the surface with a file.

As for finishes---will this be outside in the elements; or in a nice dry house?

I have done copper inlay by chiseling a groove. Do it from both sides. this raises both sides of the groove. put the copper wire into the groove and hammer it flat. Heres a railing.  My first attempt a long time ago. . It was a good learner. I learned that setting down the iron is better done with a half or quarter round top tool. 

inlay small 1_11.jpg

inlay small 1_7.jpg

inlay small 1_4.jpg

inlay small 1_2cropped.jpg

A long time ago, high school in fact,1968 maybe, I center punched, brazed over the pips then sanded to steel making a pair of dice. The required project was to file as close to a perfect cube as possible and the majority of students decided to make dice. 

Copper brazes as well so it's a potential technique that may work for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Anvil, thanks for posting this, I’ve been thinking about how to do a similar project, and was trying to figure out how to do it without brazing the brass or copper into the groove and keep warp out, plus the cleanup to define the line. 

When you braze it in, there is a lot of grinding type cleanup. And if your finish is a hot oil finish, the grinder texture sticks out like a sore thumb. This can be a plus, or a minus to your project depending on design.

The big lesson on this piece for me is that the edges of the steel cut are what you really need to pay attention to. When you hammer them flush, these edges are what the eye sees first. These two edges are the transitions from iron to copper, and transitions always grab the eye. 

The second lesson for me is to watch the depth and width of the chiseled area. These determine the thickness of the finished inlay.