I Forge Iron

Winning lottery ticket: near mint PW(look-alike?) post vise

Michael Hehr

Stumbled upon this gem of a post vise on "marketplace". Sold by a friendly lady, dealing in all sorts of 'vintage knick knack's'

66#, jaws 4,8" (12cm), few minor marks from use on the jaws, spindle and box as if they were made only yesterday! Only the nut on the hinge bolt (?), I'm not sure if it's original because it's hexagonal and not square. However: the amount of rust and erosion suggests that it is.

I did some digging and was suprised how much it looks like a PW, even in detail. No markings to be found, so there is no way to be 100% sure. What also made me wonder is how many 'look-a-likes' that were made by other manufacturers. But who's complaining? Certainly not me!! *widegrin*

(The 'nice' photo is taken from the ad itself)

ps: and please forgive my 'dunglish'...

20220702_204446.jpg

20220704_182033.jpg

20220703_195345.jpg

20220704_181700(0).jpg

Michael, your English is better than those of some native speakers.  Do not apologize.  Be proud of being multi-lingual.  Many Europeans are but few Americans are.  I can stumble along a bit in Spanish but that is about it.  It has been too many years since my most fluent and most has rusted away.

VERY nice vise.  Do you mind saying how much you had to give the nice lady?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

3 hours ago, George N. M. said:

VERY nice vise.  Do you mind saying how much you had to give the nice lady?

Thank you for your kind words, George!

I thought my eyes were fooling me so I decided to play dumb and act like I've never seen a vise like this before (scrupulous, I know but since this was a once in a lifetime opertunity I had no other choice, lol) and asked her if I wasn't insulting her by offering only 50,- euro's. She asked me about my max. offer and I replied with "Euhm... 80??" and that was it. I had a grin on my face from ear to ear all the way home, for this was the deal of the century. Especially in the Netherlands, where these vises are increadibly rare! 

Only thing I have to do is give it a good clean up because she's covered in this high gloss wood staining stuff... doesn't smell very nice, haha!

7 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Sweet score!

The mounting bracket looks exactly like the ones I’ve seen on other PW vises,

triangle with the Circle on the point, an 4 bolt holes,

Thanks! So you realy think I've hit the jackpot here? Sweet!!!

Yes, I would say that was a good buy.  Here in the US where these are more common it would still be a good price but not the deal of the century.  In your part of the world I am sure you made a good score.  And if the seller was satisfied everyone went away happy and that is a good transaction..

"By hammoer and hand all arts do stand."

Nice score! These patterns of vises are indeed a bit rare, but post vises in general are quite common. you often find the German patterned vises (luckily I like these). I would offer 80 max as well since you can get the German vises for 30-40 euros and if you spend some time looking sometimes cheaper. Have fun with it!

~Jobtiel

On 8/4/2022 at 10:44 AM, Jobtiel1 said:

Nice score! These patterns of vises are indeed a bit rare, but post vises in general are quite common. you often find the German patterned vises (luckily I like these). I would offer 80 max as well since you can get the German vises for 30-40 euros and if you spend some time looking sometimes cheaper. Have fun with it!

~Jobtiel

Thanks! Your right: if there are any PW's in the Netherlands, they all are allready spoken for. On the other hand, "you can break your neck across the german ones"! ;):lol:  German pattern is a bit to bulky for my taste. 

But fun I'll have for sure! Planing on taking it apart and give it a good cleanup, removing all the high gloss woodstain that was smeared on it by (one of) the previous owner(s)... (thank you for that, who ever you are!) and she'll be as good as new.

Have a nice weekend!

Michael

By the way: anybody here who knows a bit more about the type of chamfer on the legs? As I understand there is a difference between the ones made for export and those produced for the local economy? Or is that a matter of in which period they were produced?