I Forge Iron

Champion Post Drill Help

Does anyone know how many teeth the auto feed on an old post drill are supposed to ratchet per crank? Aka, with one crank of the handle how much should the dow-feed actually feed? The "lifter" on mine is either bent or broken and doesn't contact the cam in normal use so I was planning on adjusting it but was not sure how much it should actually contact each revolution. Appreciate any help.

On mine there are 3 pawls that catch the teeth to advance the head.  Each has a different diameter to allow for 3 different speeds of advance.  Each pawl will pick up 2 or 3 teeth on each revolution of the crank.  Because of the different anglular space each tooth takes up on the different diameter sets the inner/smaller diameter pawl will andvance the head further for each revolution than the pawl on the outer and larger diameter set of teeth.

I hope this helps.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

That gives me somewhere to start, not sure that mine is adjustable. I'll have to look at it a little closer. Something to shoot for though is nice, I didn't want to end up only going one tooth at a time if that was going to rub and dull a bit, but also didn't want to be trying to punch material with a drill bit either. Probably not the most effective method! 

Ditto what Iron Dragon said. I have a Champion 101 and I can adjust from 1 to 3 teeth per grab with a simple adjusting screw stop mounted right next to the return spring. If I'm using a larger bit (eg 9/16") in thicker steel I dial it down to 1 tooth. Smaller bit , thinner steel bump it to 3. Generally, your shoulder will tell you to dial it back, at least mine does. If you can't maintain momentum dial it back.

Steve