I Forge Iron

Question about small Fly Press capabilities with hot stamping 80crv2 (Photos)

Rian Davidson

Hello everyone, 

Long time reader - first time posting! 

I've recently purchased a small fly press in Spain and there isn't really any information regarding the amount of force it can produce. I was hoping to use it exclusively for hot stamping a 1x1cm logo into 80crv2 steel. I just wanted to get a few opinions before biting the bullet and putting the order through for the custom stamp. 

Do you think the force would be sufficient to get a decent impression? The logo has a fair amount of flat space so perhaps I would opt for a less bold option to make things easier if necessary. I've attached a mockup of the touch mark as well. 

The press stands around 80cm high and is marked with a C. 

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and opinions,

Rian

1658171981475.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.22.27 PM.png

Hi Rian- welcome aboard. We don't really have enough info to properly answer your question unless someone is able to identify the press from the picture. You might be able to make a rough estimate of the force by measuring the diameter of the screw and comparing it to models available today at Old World Anvils. Other than that, .......

Steve

Good idea! I'll take a look in my shop tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Thanks

15 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I suspect if you are stamping hot steel, it should work. If there is a plate on it with the manufacturer have you tried contacting them?

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately there is no manufacturing info on the press anywhere which is surprising as it's quite a well machined piece of equipment. 

Can you roughly calculate the surface area of the raised portion of the stamp? If so make a flat punch with the same area and see how deep it will stamp. Not a perfect method, but it should give you an idea of how well it will work.

Keep it fun,

David

Can you try it with a small flat punch to simulate your logo?

Knowing how much force the press produces is irrelevant without knowing how much is needed.  I would guess it would work fine. 

Really nice press by the way 

Edit: what Mr.Goods said

Such a cute little press.  Don't have too much to add to the above, though I expect that two factors will come into play that haven't been considered:  type of steel and how hot you will get it when you stamp your touchmark.  There is going to be a large difference between stamping, say, H-13, 52100, and D2 vs. mild steel or wrought iron.  There will be a similar difference between stamping steel at a red heat vs. at a high yellow.

I suspect you will be able to get this to stamp a 1/2" square touchmark on hot steel with not much trouble.  I have a 3/4" round touchmark and stamp it with a 4# hand hammer.  Needless to say it will be important to lag your press down to something that is rigid and relatively immobile for best effect.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:29 PM, Rian Davidson said:

The press stands around 80cm high and is marked with a C.

So, your press is 80cm, or 31.5" tall with the ram open?

My 5 ton is 84cm, or 33", with the ram closed. It weighs ~ 205kg, or ~450#.

I estimate that you have sufficient press for the job, but as Goods, et al. have suggested, first prove with a 1 cm² block.

hope this helps.

Robert Taylor 

On 7/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, Goods said:

If so make a flat punch with the same area and see how deep it will stamp.

That's a very good idea! Sometimes the answer can be right in front of us and we still can't see it. I'll forge up a small marker tomorrow and see how it goes. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:23 AM, Rojo Pedro said:

Can you try it with a small flat punch to simulate your logo?

Thanks a lot! Yes, I'll forge a small stamp with the approximate dimensions of the logo and see what I can come up with. 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:16 AM, Latticino said:

There is going to be a large difference between stamping, say, H-13, 52100, and D2 vs. mild steel or wrought iron.  There will be a similar difference between stamping steel at a red heat vs. at a high yellow.

Yes! I'll be mostly stamping 80crv2. And I'll need to do some tests at different temperatures to see what works best. I also like the little press! It seems to be somewhat comparable to an #0.5

On 7/24/2022 at 2:04 PM, Anachronist58 said:

So, your press is 80cm, or 31.5" tall with the ram open?

Thanks a lot - mine is more around 70 kilos. It should still be sufficient. Thanks for writing!

Edited by Mod30
Trim quotes.