I Forge Iron

2hp Baldor Grinder

Hi guys, I am in the process of purchasing a new house and in the barn there is a massive bench grinder (Baldor 1217w, 2hp, single phase, 115/230, 12"x2" wheels.) It is not mounted on the pedestal so I would assume it is gone. Picture is just for reference, not this exact one.  I don't have any real use for it as of right now, and was wondering what a fair selling price would be? I see a new model is 4-6k. Thanks.

Baldor-1217W-12-Grinder-2-HP-Single-Phase.jpg

Does it work when you plug it in? Clamp it down BEFORE turning it on!!!  :o If you don't that thing will take off across the floor until it unplugs itself!

I don't know what it's worth though. A quick search shows 12" x 2" x 1 1/4" wheels between $73 - $132 each. Grainger has I don't know how many grinding wheels but the al oxide that size are $346 ea. 

You might be lucky to get a couple hundred if it works, that's an expensive beast to put wheels on. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Is there more good salvage in the barn? An industrial grinder like that would an indicator of more goodness to be had. Either the gentleman did serious metal work or acquired serious tools and equipment.

The late Ernie Simmonds is a legend for buying and hoarding surplus the auction is actually celebrated annually. The 50th anniversary has a number of website commemorations. 

Anyway, I'd be pretty excited about exploring that barn and what other out buildings are on the property. I'll be with you in spirit, especially if you post pics!:)

Frosty The Lucky.

Some of the saws used to have a trigger lock that opened the carb a bit, but not wide open, to aid in starting.  Now they usually have a self setting high idle that engages when you pull the trigger once before attempting to start them.

The trigger lock in chainsaws, whether the older button on the side of the handle by the trigger or the half cock lock on the newer ones is so you can start them. Only a warm saw will start in the idle position and try to imagine pulling the rope while holding the throttle about half way AND holding the saw down. I heard some brands combined the choke with a throttle lock but have never seen one.

A cold chainsaw isn't going to start just on the choke, it WILL flood though. Throttle lock is as much to supply the right amount of air as it is fuel. Before you point out choking to block air, you only choke a chainsaw until the motor pops the first time then you switch it off. They almost never start with the choke on.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wasn't trying to make excuses. Just saying I'm inexperienced. I've only used a chainsaw about 10-15 hours lifetime so far, but that will change quickly with the new place. Still about a month until we own it and they move out, so will be a while before I find any other goodies.

Neil was taking a friendly shot at me. I was nearly killed in a chainsaw accident in 2009, I was hit by the tree. Excuses last is a measure of the seriousness of how much damage a chainsaw can do in a split second. He wasn't accusing you of making excuses, admitting you don't know something is just the opposite. 

Who in your area sells or works on chainsaws? Those are the guys to ask who will show you how to use one safely. If they don't give instruction themselves they will know who does. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We are planning on splitting the property with my wife's parents and he has done quite a bit of chainsawing, but really isn't safe. He would have made a great botanist, but probably a dead arborist. Just yesterday he brought over something to for me to weld and kept walking my spark path while I was grinding bevels on it. Just has no idea how much damage a 1/2# piece of steel can do if I let the belt grinder throw it.

Some people never get it, even if they "understand." I used to work with a couple guys I had to stop doing what I had to do if they showed up at the shop. For example of Darwin award applicant behavior. I was hard facing drill bits on the WELDING table with the curtain drawn when I get a wiff of ether. I break the ark, lift my shield and there's good old Ralphy degreasing something on the WELDING table with starting fluid maybe 4' from me. Use the solvent tank? Naw, this is okay.

I got called to the office because I yelled at him, My supervisor, call him doof, the top dog in our office mat engineer, the director of HR, and both drill crews were present to make a proper impression me. No fooling I was in trouble for yelling about probably criminally dangerous behavior. After my dressing down for impolite language I was asked if I had anything to say for myself.

I did not make it short and sweet. They agreed immediately I was more than justified yelling. Then I started laying blame for the behavior on doof for encouraging dangerous practices using the current "hearing" as proof it was a top down problem and HE was the problem. The only time I raised my voice was when doof told me they'd heard enough I could leave. "I am NOT FINISHED!" The head mat engineer told doof to be quiet and listen. 

The only thing gained was I wasn't suspended. Didn't make a lick of difference in Ralphy's shop practices nothing was going to effect "No problem is so severe it won't go away before I have to solve it and I'll shoot ay messenger who tries to make me" doof.

Well, I didn't get called in for a public dressing down again so I guess it did some good.

So, yes I know what you mean, you should try working for a gvt agency for more nightmare examples than you'd believe.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had a similar instance once, although I didn't even get talked to about it. Our shop was retrofitting amphibious personal carriers for the USMC. Everything had to be welded in flat or horizontal, so the vehicles needed to picked up with 2 overhead cranes inside and rotated. I don't remember the exact weight but I think it was near 10 tons.

I had it up in the air and halfway flipped and this genius I worked with just starts walking right next to it. I stop, yell for him to move. He looks up, asks what the big deal is. Tell him much less nicely again and he moves a step or two back. Now I'm seriously annoyed, telling him to go anywhere but here. Eventually he does. Was typically a quieter guy and never tried to report me.

Find out later he is struggling bad with alcohol and his marriage and he wasn't even old enough to drink. Got caught drunk on the job (5am) a couple times and fired. 

He might not care about his life but I did.

• 2 weeks later...