I Forge Iron

Stop using ceramic insulation! There is now a better alternative!

Mods, please remove this if it's against rules but I feel that this is very critical information for the blacksmith community and will be of great benefit.

[Mod Note: the following has had the commercial links removed, but the information within the post has been left intact. Those seeking information from the manufacturer's website can look it up on their own.]

I'll keep this post as condensed as I can to get right to the meat. Ever since reading this post ( Ceramic Wool Insulation, Safety Alert), I have been actively looking for new ways on how to avoid the 2 main problems with ceramic blankets:

The Biopersistence problem - In short: When handling the blanket, the fibers in Ceramic blankets, when inhaled, can stay in your lungs up to 20 years! (Article: Biopersistence of refractory ceramic fiber in human lung tissue)

• That means we have to be extra cautious when handling the blanket:
    • Wearing a respirator, gloves, washing any clothes that makes contact with the fibers afterwards.
  • But what if:
    • Some fibers land on our clothes, or around the shop that we don't notice, and later breathe in?
    • What if our workpiece cuts into the lining and exposes some ceramic fibers?

The Crystalline Silica problem - In short: When ceramic blanket is heated up above 1800F it can "recrystalize" and form Crystalline Silica. This can lead to a lung disease called Silicosis. 

How did the industry work to solve these problems?
- Lining the forge with a ceramic blanket rigidizer and refractory.

The problem:

• The linings like rigidizer and refractory should in theory seal the fibers. But we can never be sure if we fully sealed them or not. And what about all the fibers that flew or fly around the shop?
  • Or what about fibers left on clothing when they weren't immediately washed after coming in contact with the blanket?

What we believe is the answer:
Morgan Ceramic's Superwool XTRA. Not just "Superwool" but the XTRA version of Superwool. The XTRA solves both of these problems.

• It emits ZERO crystalline silica - at regular and high heat use. (Only the XTRA version of Superwool blanket has this benefit.)
  • It's Low Bio-Persistent - it will not stay in the body for a long period of time.
  • 1450°C (2640°F) Working Temperature
  • Not Classified as Hazardous or Carcinogen
  • [commercial link removed]

I believe this is a game changer when it comes to health.  

This is a very good route for beginners to take as this is the safest route. We have been including these in our forges for the past 6 months already and we have decided to bring the info out to the community and not just for our own forges.

[MOD NOTE: Advertising information about products available on the OP's website has been removed.]

There are studies done by steel producers regarding this and you can read their reports to learn more info: Technical report: High Temperature Low Bio-persistent Wool Development

We are not scientists. But we do have a good relationship with Morgan Ceramic's Thermal Ceramics department and have a good contact with their engineering team, so we can pass questions along to them and get more info, the harder the questions the better. We are not paid by them in any way and they didn't request us to make this. 

Yes of course. And I'm not sure if you're poking fun at the post regarding 'retailing' but we truly are selling this at near breakeven. The Xtra superwool is only offered in large rolls and it seems that they are heavily focusing on getting the big accounts right now (steel mills, glass industry, etc) they aren't interested in talking with smaller accounts. We were able to leverage by placing larger orders and getting our foot in the door because of our forges line, which all our forges use now.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

Thank you. Not at all, I'm not poking fun at you. I was trying to be as precise as I know how. You are buying in bulk and selling small quantities is as far as I know retailing the product. It doesn't imply profiting from the retail, I didn't intend my statement to anyway. I could've been more clear.

Yes, Morgan Thermal Ceramics doesn't sell retail or end user quantities. Heck the best one of our club members can do is pallets of K-26 IFB but he is a professional bronze caster and pallet size orders are normal. Club members buy small quantities from a local HVAC supplier. 

My intent though poorly said was to express gratitude for the service of providing a small quantities of "Superwool EXTRA" at a break even price. A business must make a profit or it goes out of business and selling at near break even in the name of safety is a real service to the blacksmith and casting communities.

No joke.

Thank you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Volcano,

howdy! how y’all been doin? 

Thank you for the safety alert! Keepin smiths smithin safely is always priority uno!

sorry to change the subject but I was curious if y’all are planning on setting up at quad state this year? 

it’s coming up in a couple months and that would be a great venue to share your safety information an answer questions about y’all’s forges with lots of people in person!