I Forge Iron

Can old hammers and Milling tools be repurposed as hardy tools?

I’m new to the blacksmithing world and still in the process of building my forge but there is a old machine shop closing in my town that has a bunch of milling and cutting tools as well as hammer of all kinds. Can these be used to forge new blacksmithing tools or hardy tools?

Hammers probably yes it depends on what they're made from. Mill cutters and lathe bits probably not, most aren't forgeable alloys. There's a really good chance you'll find handy things like vises, clamps, instrumentation and such. Don't forget to look through the rems, machine shops work some alloys that are really useful to the smith. 

It's certainly worth checking out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Many "old"  machine shops may have many items of interest to blacksmiths shoved away in the backroom collecting dust and cobwebs.  A lot also depends on how diverse their shop was and what types of work they did.  Is it an auction?

I suppose it happens.  I get some free scrap here and there, but I left all I know behind.  You are correct though because I unloaded a hoard of stuff to my friends before I moved rather than see it go to scrap.  A lot still went to the melter.  I forget so easily.

There was a local mom n pop harware store back home that went out of business when a big box store moved in and you are right, they were selling off their stock for next to nothing and kept lowering prices and started giving some stuff away until there wasn't much left.  I stocked up on stuff I thought I would need "someday".   Sometimes my memory needs jogging.  Thanks.....:)

It was like watching a Sunday roast chicken getting picked to the bone.  I never understood why they didn't have an auction.  Maybe they made out better on their own.