I Forge Iron

Unknown Handled Tool

Came across this tool at an antique shop. Like several other pieces it seems to be from the "I don't know what it is/does, so I'll put it in the blacksmithing stuff."

It appears to be cast, in the first image there's a mold seam visible below the rivet or pin. The wood handle goes all the way through and is cut flush with the top. Both ends are the same with no evidence of being struck. both ends have a not quite centered hole about 1/2 inch dia. by an inch deep. For scale there's a Canadian $2 (toonie) coin with a 28 mm dia. in both images.

I suspect it was for use with some sort of short lived piece of farm equipment.

Unknown Tool 1.jpg

Unknown Tool 2.jpg

Maybe it was used to wind and unwind wire rope/cable.  The central messenger goes in the hole, the outer wraps lay in the grooves.  Turn to wind or unwind as needed.  

It could also be some kind of linesman tool for setting a lag based clevis into a wooden pole. 

Coconut hammer?

Cow killing hammer?

You aren't a cheechako unless you  move here and start telling folks how it's really done where you're from. Part of the story or one of them is about newcomers from Chicago who went broke then died trying to show the natives how it's done. Being from Chicago and how closely Chicago sounds like Cheechako and that they were newbies the term became common for prospectors or folk with the, "This is how it's done where we're from," attitude. 

I don't think it'd apply to a small engine repair shop if you decided to stay.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alaska is full of gas powered go fasters but there are specialty shops for most of them. A good general small engine, machinery shop usually does well. Covid seems to have closed the two I've used in the past few years.

A mobile small engine repair might be the ticket. I don't know I avoid turning wrenches if possible. An A&P mechanic license goes well too, we have lots of light planes.

Frosty The Lucky.

See, there is so much myth about what an Alaskan winter is like, you don't really have a clue. We don't get a couple three feet of snow that lasts a month or two. It builds up gradually to around 5' over 7 months and then spends a month or two melting. You'd LOVE it, we'll find you a few snow machines to repair and enjoy over winter and when you aren't riding you can be rebuilding a couple old jet skis to enjoy in summer. 

You know how miserable summer is there? Our winters no matter how cold are easy, just put on another layer and you're good. You can't take off enough clothes to make your summers comfortable.

What keeps you people there, is it too sticky to escape? What's the average annual budget for deodorant around there? What's wetter the inside or outside of your rain gear or do you bother?

You wouldn't be the only ones around here with an Oklahoman accent, or most anywhere on Earth.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

It builds up gradually to around 5' over 7 months and then spends a month or two melting

Oh cause that’s so much better!:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

What keeps you people there

Cheaper freight!

9 months of warm weather, 

lower cost of living,

easier an cheaper access to rusty blacksmithing tools,

not fighting a moose for the veggies in my garden!:blink:

not fighting a polar bear for the meat on my grill when I’m cookin out!:angry:

An who needs rain gear? Just wait five minutes in Oklahoma an the weather changes lol :P