I Forge Iron

new here

cuyiw

My name is Marshall, I am very new to smithing, so new I haven't made a forge yet!

It's my turn with my grandfather's farm, or what's left of it, and now that I have made it usable again (far from finished but usable) I want to begin metal working. I am fascinated by steel and always wanted to try my hand at smithing.

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!

We’re always glad to see new people get started!

you might wanna update your profile location so people where your at! 
that way you could possibly hook up with blacksmiths in your area to help you in person too!

what kinda smithing are you interested in? Knives, tools, hardware ect..?

Welcome aboard Marshall, glad to have you. We'll be more than happy to help you develop a strong addiction to playing with fire and hitting things with hammers.

Unfortunately many answers and much of what's easily available is location dependent. And telling us once in one post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory after we open another post. Putting your general location in the header puts your location at the top of every post. You'll find tools, equipment and supplies more easily. Then there are the get togethers of smiths local to you. Networking in person is the best way to learn and practice the craft I know of.

What would you like to make?

Frosty The Lucky.

Working and hobby farms always have fabrication and repair projects to do and once you have a forge and anvil a surprising number of them require a bit of forging ;-).

a mixing aside, what manner of forge are we looking at? This has a Bering on what work one can do efficiently or how many forges you need to work efficiently (gassers)

what anvil and tools do you have at hand? Do we need to find an anvil (commercial or improvised) or other tools? 
lone hopes all the equipment rusting in the wind rows hast been sold for scrap.