I Forge Iron

When buying a knife, in addition to looking at the design, size, steel, etc., what else should you pay attention to?

Binda

When shopping for a knife, we usually say, you look at the steel, handle, design, ergonomics, size, etc.
So, in addition to these, is there anything else to pay attention to?
Blade Thickness:
Blade thickness is important. The thickness at the edge determines the sharpness of most knives. For knives that cut easily, the edge is generally very thin. Generally, the blades of straight knives such as survival knives and outdoor knives will be very thick, about 6 mm; while ordinary knives for daily use do not need to be too thick, about 3.5 mm is OK; too thick knives are meaningless in daily use. 
stability:
The stability of the knife is also a lot of concern, and a knife with high stability will be easier to use.
Sawtooth:
Fully serrated or combined serrated knives, these knives are usually not too many, like spiders, full serrated knives will have a little more, and combined serrated knives are not many, because the serrations are not easy to sharpen.
Notice:
A good knife, its hardness at least not too low. Knives with high hardness cannot be knocked vigorously. So be careful when handling knives. Another cause of damage to the tip and blade is improper use; for example, using it as a crowbar, or using it as a screwdriver. This especially hurts the tip; pay attention to the blade for bending, but not much. The way to often test the sharpness of the blade is to cut paper; if you buy it from the Internet, you can also let the store do it for you to see. After you get home, you can do a tomato cutting test, a shaving test, etc.

Binda, welcome abaord from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

A lot of what you say is pretty obvious but the biggest consideration is what use you are going to be putting a knife.  A hunting knife needs to be pretty robust because it will be used in many different way from dressing out a big game animal to splitting kindling and firewood.  A fighting knife has different requirements.

Basically, a knife is the support for an edge.  The edge is the tool and everything else is there to support that cutting function.

If you put your general location in your profile it will be a help.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The only consideration for any knife I BUY is what tools does it have on it and how heavy is it. Maybe one day I'll learn to make folders but then I'll probably have to start wearing suspenders AND belt. :) 

I have considered replacing the (fully serrated) blade on my Leatherman Crunch, but first I'll try regrinding the original. 

Does it meet *your* needs; not someone else's!  I don't like my knives so hard that you need a diamond hone to sharpen,  other prefer them that way.

It does seem an odd first post; be interested in what the next one is like.  The website referred to in their profile is for a Chinese environmental monitoring company.

Even though I responded in good faith and answered her question I suspect that this is not a legitimate post.  Some sort of phishing or pre-commercial pitch.  I agree that it is a bit unusual.  I'd give about 70-30 odds that we don't hear from her again.

GNM

That is exactly what I thought too and suggested contact Glenn. Especially when I read the about me page.

We are manufacturer for weather station, temperature and humidity sensor transmitter,infrared temperature sensor,O3 detector, rain gauge, co2 sensor, pressure sensor, water level sensor and so on. Any question welcome to contact us for free.