I Forge Iron

I picked these up years ago.  Every now and then, when I would happen across them in the shop, I would go on line and frenetically scour the web in hope of identifying them.  Well I finally succeeded.

Your Turn!

20220618_202722.thumb.jpg.9d6dd83bc121cdaea774777db92ed5d1.jpg20220618_202651.thumb.jpg.0984ba99fcad485239a40581f9c75b93.jpg

Robert Taylor

Boy I have a very faint jingle that I've seen something like this but a very long time ago.  Possibly something to raise hemispherical shapes in soft material like copper or leather?  The threaded wheel on the end of the handles to control the depth of the ball into the ring to ensure repeatability.

That's all I've got.

"By hammetr and hand all arts do stand."

They are cobbler’s tool for making fine adjustments to leather shoes or boots for people’s feet. They are used to expand “hot spots” or “sore spots” in the leather for a custom fit. Good for bunions. The screw is used to lock the device in place for a period of time. Sometimes a leather softener was used as well and the device was clamped overnight.

Wow.  Sharp Crew, bunion tongs indeed! I finally tracked them down on GooGoo with the term "ring and ball tongs".  I have a severe bunion on my right foot that quickly destroys my shoes.  Next pair, I will apply a softener, and put the tongs to the spot.

And I will definitely be trying these on some metal sheet goods...

Robert Taylor

"P'r'aps," said Trot, who was very glad to sit down beside her companions, "you've got corns."

"Corns? Nonsense! Orks never have corns," protested the creature, rubbing its sore feet tenderly.

"Then mebbe they're - they're - What do you call 'em, Cap'n Bill? Something 'bout the Pilgrim's Progress, you know."

"Bunions," said Cap'n Bill.

"Oh, yes; mebbe you've got bunions."

32 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

my tongs are "Vintage

Lol,

I got in an argument awhile back with a dealer that told me tongs were no longer made…:huh:

she also preceded to tell me that all blacksmithing tools were no longer made… anvils, post vises, blowers ect… 

she wanted $40+ for some rust pitted, bent up tongs… 

so I preceded to nicely educate her on the availability of all those things, an named off a half dozen blacksmith supply companies an another half dozen anvil companies.

she refused to believe me an got really aggravated, so I decided to leave her store without purchasing anything an have never went back,

Scott, I regret that I continue to be unwilling to cheat you, my Friend!

TW - I have run across a few antique shop workers whose chesse slid off their crackers when they heard my geiger counter scream over selected antiques. "Get out! Get out!

John, not every car can be a Tucker! - or a Hupp...

Robert Taylor