I Forge Iron

Emerald Eyes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm..... Well trod territory, I will have to get inventive.  Maybe a set of venomous snake fangs ready to snap shut on a hand.  Or a small guillotine looking apparatus?  I think that was mentioned.  Or spinning meat tenderizer wheels ready to grab onto the tip of your... Snapping beetle mandibles?   Maybe there really is nothing new under the sun....

I will have to think on it.  That is/was a cool project Aric.  I have a few on the back burner lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Cocked crossbow bolted to the door aimed at the door handle?  Giant realistic cardboard safe hanging overhead with a rotted old string connected to the door knob via a system of pulleys?  I watched a video about Chloride, Az that gave me ideas, not to be posted on here.  It was on you tube you know....

How's this for an insidiously diabolical anti solicitor doorbell? Put the bell button or knocker handle between two pieces of paper so you have to slide your finger along the edges and have a mechanical lemon squeezer directly above? 

The inspiration for that vision of horror comes from Billy Crystal's character, Miracle Max in "The Princess Bride."

Frosty The Lucky.

What kind/size of bugs are we talking about?  Poisonous varieties?   Knowing your oven wattage would help.  I suggest wrapping them in a paper towel to reduce splattering.  Maybe poke a few holes in them with a fork so steam can escape if you are not trying to make them explode.  

If you dip them in chocolate and candy coat them you could call them Scuttles. The candy that scurries in your mouth AND your hand!

Mommy mommy Billy's eating all the blue ones AGAIN!

Frosty The Lucky.

I bet letting them swim around in chocolate would coat them nicely.  I don't know anything about fondue but I suspect it'd depend a lot on the bug. Fuzzy ones would hold a lot of cheese and ones with stings naturally have a sharp tang. I LIKE chocolate covered ants, the formic acid tang balances the chocolate really well.

I'm having trouble offering an opinion, I don't eat enough bugs I guess.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like you have some good ideas for not eating many bugs.  I hear bees have formic acid too.

Trivia:

Years ago University of Nebraska football players were called the Bugeaters, after the state-wide nickname which came from Nebraska's numerous bull bats (Chordeiles minor), called bugeaters because they fed on bugs. The name was also apt because of the "poverty-stricken appearance of many parts of the state.

Bee stings are formic acid but their fuzzy bodies are less pleasant than ants though they hold more chocolate. 

Bugs aren't my thing but I've tried a few. Chocolate covered ants aren't bad at all, I don't know what kind of ants they were and wonder if fire ants or the ones with worse stings taste different. Everybody up here eats a mosquito now and then, stupid little predators will land on a bite of food as you shovel it in, I don't remember any flavor at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Got fire ants here but I'm not sure how you would cover them in chocolate.  How does that work?  Are they separate little ant chocolate dot like things or  are they clumps of them all stuck together?  Your the one that said you ate them so I ask.  I suppose I could google it like EVERYTHING else but I am interested in what you have to say.  Anyway, I've come to trust you more than the internet.  

The ones I had were funny shaped little lumps a bit larger than a wooden match head. I suppose other chocolatiers might do clumps, maybe  cream filled ant bon bons, etc. I don't know. There were some in a bowl and I took a dare, I didn't like the bees as well but had a few more ants. 

I don't know anything about chocolate covered Googles. Let me know what you think, I might give one a try.

Frosty The Lucky.