I Forge Iron

Traditional charcoal burning in Spain

That was pretty cool John! Thanks for sharing that!

Not as traditional as your video but there used to be some commercial charcoal kilns not far from where I live but the company shut down a long time ago and the kilns where tore down when I was a kid, 

I’ll ask around an see if any of the old timers have any pictures of them still standing,

I’m waiting on some pictures from some local guys I know, it might take a few days but I’ll post them when I get them,

in the mean time I looked through the Adair county history books I have and I found there were two more charcoal operations then I thought, 

one in watts about 15 minutes north, one in Ballard which is close to watts, and then the one I remembered that was in Baron just a couple minutes north of me here in peavine,

none of them are still standing or I’d get y’all some in person pictures, 

the one just up the road apparently had seven kilns! 

1F7D4C4D-191C-45FD-B431-CB6C103C761D.jpeg

72F86A6D-1F9E-452A-8EBC-7FC9944D3698.jpeg

9C873714-103B-4179-BF00-6C689F8BE955.jpeg

Excellent! The first vid especially was good. The first thing I noticed was,,,  Everything good with wood,,,, starts with a Stihl!  I wonder how they did it before Stihl saws happened.  ;)   The second was the similarity between managing their burn and fire maintenance using blacksmith coal.  Mainly dealing with a hollow fire and tending to places where the fire burns thru on the sides causing loss of heat and control of the size of the fire, in our case. The final observation for me was their using basically what we call in the west/southwest, scrub oak for their charcoal source. But letting it dry for two years is a killer. 

21 hours ago, anvil said:

Everything good with wood,,,, starts with a Stihl!  I wonder how they did it before Stihl saws happened.

Axes and handsaws, I suppose. 

However, that does bring up the interesting question of how Stihl saws happened, which is addressed here: