I Forge Iron

Post Vice identification help, please.

FLgrl

Hi, and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate it VERY much. I acquired this vice from another maker and have decided that I'd like to go in a different direction. So I wanted to find out what ever I can about it, so that I can then, put it up for sale.

I am on the northeast coast of Florida. I do not find any identifying marks on the vice. I think it was acquired badly rusted, and it was then perhaps sanded a bit or maybe a steel pad and then painted with Rustoleum on the body, not the post. The jaws are 4 inches and it is 3 feet tall. Thank you!

Post vice 1.jpg

Post vice 2.jpg

Post vice 3.jpg

Post vice 4.jpg

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum,

I’m pretty sure your post vise was forged not cast, 

as far as identifying it, that will be hard to do because only a handful of manufacturers ever marked their post vises, like Trenton, fisher, Indian chief, iron city, keen cutter, Columbian ect…

but even some of the vises produced by those companies were sold with no identification stamped on them,

prices vary depending on region and condition of the screw box an threads,

im not up to date on prices in Florida but here in my territory I normally give $75 for a complete working post vise in the 3”-5” range, an $100-$150 for 6” or better, complete and working condition,

a post vise like yours were it appears the acorn has been cut off the leg, an is missing the mounting bracket, wedge and keeper, would only bring $50 or less here because you'd have to spend time an fuel rebuilding the missing parts,

but like I said I’m not sure about your area, they could be goin way higher down there than they do here

How interesting. Thank you Twisted Willow! Yes, in looking at other vices on this site, I realized those parts were missing.  The screw box and threads are actually in very good working condition. Thanks so much for your help! Have a great day!

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the Acorn?

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. The acorn at the end of the leg/post, is to set in a hole in the floor or plate mounted there to absorb the shock of heavy hammering.

Like this on one of my vises. This vise is also a 4 inch wide jaw and I paid $60.00 U.S. for it because it was missing the mounting bracket and spring, which I made.

100_1909.thumb.JPG.32933411fb521cf233ec553258495cfd.JPG

100_1910-1.thumb.jpg.60fa34d8cff6dd5a101e5f9448a3e9a2.jpg

Your welcome!

The acorn had a little knob on the end that would lock into a hole an keep the vise leg from movin on you, 

you don’t actually have to have it to use the vise though,

On another note, before you sell the vise!

have you considered getting into blacksmithing yourself?

if so you could forge the replacement parts an have yourself a nice post vise! :)

then you could use the post vise to help make other things to sell instead! An you could use the money from selling your wares to buy more blacksmithing tools!:D

Hope you stick around we love seeing new people get into smithing! 

just something to think about!

Thank you Iron Dragon and Twisted Willow! Now that makes perfect sense about the acorn.

Thanks for the info on how much you paid for yours in similar condition, Iron Dragon.

Twisted Willow, you made me chuckle. I'm already a tool junkie! Getting into blacksmithing would make be certifiable. LOL I appreciate both of you! Cheers!

Here's a pic of how I have used it. The previous owner filled a pan with concrete and stuck a metal pipe in it. Then stuck another PVC pipe to fit inside that one with set screws to hold it in place. It has served me well as I do forming not forging, but I'm looking for something a little more manageable to haul around while I teach. :-)

Antique Vice.jpg

PS: Iron Dragon, I like your fix much better! Now if only I was a blacksmith. LOL

Funny guy! I work mostly in silver with gold accents, Twisted Willow. Sometimes Iron, also with gold accents. The flower is steel that has been minimally chased with gold fused over the design. The other is sterling and 18 KT gold.

4 - ArrowcraftFlower2.jpg

Joy.jpg

The bottom pendant is hollow tubes that I make.

Debi retired in 2008 and at the time she was in Karate (second degree black belt) a knee injury & surgery fixed that. Then covid shut the dojo down. She also camps, fly fishes, hikes, kayaks & hammers hot steel. Now however due to covid and her hip giving her fits she isn't real happy.

Last Tuesday she had hip replacement surgery and is doing good so far. I tease her about being bionic. According to her surgeon she should be back up to full speed in a couple of three months. So once again, I'll have a hard time keeping up with her.:D

3 hours ago, FLgrl said:

I am however, 65, so I think I'll just stick with this for a few more years. :-)

Ahh come on! If you start now you’ll have a a good 30 year run before you need to take a break! :P

seriously though I think we gotta couple members pushin 80 an still forging strong!

your serious skill level with jewelry metal forming would probably jump you ahead a few decades if you decided to start smithin!

On 6/19/2022 at 5:13 AM, FLgrl said:

No interest on my part just now. Maybe that'll change in the future!

That’s okay your still more than welcome to hang out here! 
Stick around awhile an you’ll see we don’t always talk about blacksmithing lol