I Forge Iron

Looking for suggestions on cleaning up this Peter Wright anvil

I just cleaned up the anvil on the left using an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and then a Scotch Brite conditioning disk. I love the way it turned out. With it cleaned up I was able to read the faint marks and identify the maker as William Foster and the year of manufacture as 1828. The Foster was in the same condition as the Peter Wright on the right was before i started the cleaning process. I am thinking of doing the same process to clean up the Peter Wright as I love the way the Foster turned out. What say ye oh wise ones?

20220614_163254.jpg

more info and a better shot of the Foster: https://www.instagram.com/p/CezXgEIg3U3/

thanks ridgeway, that's what i was thinking but i wanted some confirmation before i start. the scotch brite pad worked really well. didn't hurt the steel/ iron at all - not a spark to be seen - plus i like the way it cleans it up.

Hey Dan- nice job. Wire wheel and scotchbrite is as aggressive as you need to go. Using hard discs or flap sanders on an anvil might cause a late night visit from masked folks in IFI logo tee shirts. Wouldn't hurt to wipe on some BLO (boiled linseed oil) or paste wax.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...