I Forge Iron

Champion blower on a Clay Forge, Need info.

GaryL

A buddy has this old forge in his barn and wants me to help him sell it. I know nothing about blacksmith tools so I hope some of you folks can give me some guidance.

About all I do know is the blower is working and it appears to be in working condition. Hopefully my pictures will post since I am new to the site and this is my first post.

The forge/blower is located close to Port Jervis, NY right where NY, PA and NJ intersect by the Delaware River.

Thank you for any info.

GaryL

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

"Clay" on the forge is an instruction rather than a brand name.  You are supposed to place a layer of clay in the bottom of a cast iron forge to protect the brittle cast iron from thermal shock which could cause it to crack.

The value of the torge, which looks in pretty good shape if the blower is working well (when you are cranking it there should be little resistance and it should windmill for a couple turns after you release it) is dependent on the demand in your area.  Check ebay and craigslist in your area to see if there are similar items for sale to get a comparison.  I, from 1800 miles away, would ask $350 and accept $250-300 but at the end of the day it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept.  Haggling is the norm in these types of sales.  If you set a firm price and reject all lower offers it will take a lot longer to sell it.

Either you or your friend could do something radical and get into blacksmithing.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

“Clay Forge” is an instruction, not a brand. Adding a layer of clay helps keep the cast iron pan from cracking. 

I’ll leave the question of market value to the more experienced, but it looks good. 

Not much else in the iron forge realm but a couple nice old dirt bikes I don't know a lot about. I did see what appears to be a nice vintage early 70s Honda and a very nice older Rokon. I think I did put my location in my profile with some other useless info and I can see it so no clue why others can't. If I had to make a guess I would think the PO had horses and might be this old forge was for banging out shoes but that is just a guess. Yes, the blower does push air through the bottom hole in the pan and seems to keep going for a few seconds after I stop cranking. He has no interest in learning the smithing art but is willing to get it sold to someone who will put it to use if that is even possible these days. From my own research it appears to be missing a sheet metal deflector hood but the rest is all there.

Thanks to all who have responded with great info.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

• 2 weeks later...