I Forge Iron

Help identifying this old leg vice

QbBlacksmith

Sorry, no help on it's age or maker.

How are the screw and screw box? Being welded to the stand thingy like that puts any hammering forces against the moving jaw and would've caused excessive wear. IF it worked at all. Can you open it without the leg stopping it? 

$30 is probably a pretty fair to pretty good price depending on condition. Cutting it off that stand and making a mounting plate, spring and wedges is easy enough, a couple hours at the anvil, maybe a little drilling. 

Who or when it was made is maybe a point of interest and there's nothing wrong with wanting to know but will it effect it as a tool?

Frosty The Lucky.

I've never heard of a PW having a serial number; that may be a company asset number and so without knowing the company untraceable to date.

However; like anvils, postvises don't get any special cachet for being  old till they get around 200+ years old and those are often in very poor condition as the means of constructing the screwbox doesn't stand up to abuse and in 200+ years, abuse is rather common.

(I have one that meets the 200+ year criteria, it's very small and the screwbox was forge brazed from multiple pieces including the threads being brazed into the tube.  I use it rarely and do NOT let students or visitors use it!)

Asking the same question repeatedly isn't going to improve a negative answer. Thomas said no and I've never heard of one. Property # is the ONLY logical answer. Private owners typically marked them with initials or their touch mark. Factories, etc. most likely would've marked them with a property # if at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

It is missing the mounting hardware and spring. To me, IF the screw and screw box are good that is a great price. The missing parts can be made. As is it probably won't function well. Can you get a picture of the threads on the screw?

If good, I would free it from its current state and forge/fabricate a new mount bracket, lock and spring.