I Forge Iron

Clear coat paint, mild steel, Norway

LA9436

I would like to paint some mild steel (S235JR) while leaving the patination visible. The item is a hook rack that will be used indoors. Are there any recommendations here in Norway? Do I really need a primer? Preferably leaving a shiny finish, and bringing out the colours of the patina if possible.

There are clear paints that are very tough and many that are common off the shelf at the department store. No matter what you use it WILL darken, maybe change the colors of the patina. I'd see what they have at the auto parts store. You can choose the finish, glossy, semi gloss, satin, dull, maybe more, it's been years since I looked.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like Rust-Oleum satin clear coat for most small items like that. It dries without a high gloss but sort of shiny and gives the appearance of depth to the steels color. Don't know if it is available in Norway though, over here most hardware stores and large department stores like Walmart carry it.