I Forge Iron

Compass Inn Museum meet May 21st. 2022

This saturday May 21st. is a PAABA event at the Compass Inn Museum near Ligonier PA. Off the Lincoln highway. I will be coming with a limited forge setup as I am without a vehicle able to tow my trailer at the moment. I will have a more limited but functional forge setup under a canopy to work.  I am fine with sharing my forge with anyone interested. 

It has been a good time everytime I've gone the past few years with friendly people and a relaxed atmosphere. Also the period museum and blacksmith shop on location. 

Map is in the PAABA website calendar. 

From Chris Holt of PAABA. "

Our next event is this coming Saturday at the Compass Inn Museum in Laughlintown (just outside of Ligonier, PA).  It is a hands-on event where we make items and donate items for the Gift Shoppe!  If you like to make small gift items such as hooks, camping implements, key rings, necklaces, etc., you are welcome to join in!  If you do not have a set up to bring (anvil, forge etc.,) bring your hand tools and you can share with another PAABA member. If you would like to visit for the day, you are welcome to tour the facilities for a reasonable entrance fee and visit with your PAABA friends.  Lunch will be served to working smiths, we will have plenty of water, and lots of fun planned!  If all goes as planned there will be a brass pour by Bob Pickens, something to see if you have not seen it before or would like to see it happen again.  It really is amazing; he will be making a specific item for the Compass Inn Museum. 
Working smiths will be able to set up at 9:00, unloading is easy, parking nearby!

Chris Holt
PAABA Sec/Ed

As usual, time flies when you are having fun. Got a few pics but not much. None of what all I made or my set up. Ugh. 

Anyway here are some of the inn, cook house and blacksmith shop. Holding the glowing hot ring he asked, " if someone gives me a dollar, I'll lick it." Someone handed him a dollar bill, and he licked the dollar bill. And kept it while explaining the importance of Listening to his words. 

It was a great time. 

Made a leaf, larger spoon, heart and leaf coat hook out of a large garden nail, horse shoe horse head heart, and a smaller fire poker. Could have done more but it is fun talking with everyone and it Was hot at 92°F. Still a beautiful day. 

Sorry,maybe next time I'll get more pictures. 

20220521_133119.thumb.jpg.c62059181b92a1213a351ae83d5ce17a.jpg

20220521_133141.thumb.jpg.af39caa998c4275776a60bc99f1a94fd.jpg

20220521_133218.thumb.jpg.ce746e3fd4775864d5f41ef58de83208.jpg

Its a nice place TW. One day I'll have to get more pictures around and inside the place.

There were 5 other forges set up around under canopys including mine. Plus Bob Pickens small setup for his brass pour. He cast a smaller brass anvil and attempted two keys but the keys didn't work out. 

There were a bunch of nice people there observing. One couple actually watched the whole time for me making the larger spoon. Then they went and purchased it as soon as it made its way to the gift shop. 

It was a nice compliment. 

They asked what I was making and I told them it would be a spoon or a chunk of scrap metal. Lol

I hadn't made a spoon in a while and being that I hadn't forged with my demo kit in a year I wasn't sure how it would turn out.  It turned out nice but more plain than I would usually go for.  They were impressed with how the nub got hammered into the spoon shape. 

As usual there were some interested in forging and I told them they would benefit from coming to Iforgeiron to learn more.