I Forge Iron

Who knows what anvil this is?

Greetings, all.
My name is Michael, I live in the Netherlands and I just started blacksmithing. 
Long story short: Last weekend I bought myself a 'real' anvil (330 pounds/150kg) since the one that I made out of a piece of railwaytrack is only good enough for making coffee spoons.
Now, I was almost 100% sure this anvil is a Moushole.
However: after cleaning it up and removing grease, paint and rust, there were only 2 markings on the entire anvil. A single '8' on the side of the body (or a '3' ?) and a partial capital 'E' on the front foot... 
No name, no weight, no date, nothing.
Only a '8' (or 3?) and a 'E'.

Somebody sugested it looks a lot like an 'Isaac Hill of Birmingham'...

Your thoughts please? Thanks!

Oh and the under side of the Pritchel hole is bulging outward... could that be a clou to it's age?

20220517_174616.thumb.jpg.1e42230f08dd7c01a160cad4502be63d.jpg20220517_172052.thumb.jpg.cbe70680d9e115f6fe00d2faf8a75a29.jpg20220517_172108.thumb.jpg.d0e8af4a1236a047104773ccea62dcde.jpg20220517_164551.thumb.jpg.58cf877c2ff1dd2d222e8537259e4ddc.jpg20220517_164526.thumb.jpg.19083648e2d021a6e2c1b247d00496cd.jpg20220517_174718.thumb.jpg.2203661c601e762402bc632835e8d0d8.jpg

Goedemorgen! Nice to see a fellow dutchman here.

As for the anvil, Have you done a ring and rebound test to test it's quality? I have no idea on the make really, some more experienced people will probably chime in on that one.

~Jobtiel

Welcome aboard Michael, glad to have another Nederlander aboard. (the term just came to me, I hope it isn't offensive. if so I sincerely apologize!)

That's a fine looking anvil, if it passes a rebound test and does what you want, what difference does who made it make? Sure it's nice to know but unless you're going to display it like a museum does it really matter?

Frosty The Lucky.

Fijn dat ik niet de enige kaaskop ben, hier! lol! (nice to know I'm not the only 'cheesehead' here)

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to have acces to such a vast amount of knowledge when it comes to blacksmithing and things that relate to it.

The anvil still sings like a bell. Not a real rebound test but when I tapped her with a small hammer, she responded very 'lively'.

The face and table are worn nicely, no damage whatsoever exept for a very small chip from the tables corner edge.  It's obvious that she was well treated by her previous owners.

I'm completely smitten by her so no, I don't care WHAT brand she is, just WHICH.

However: it keeps me awake at night (no joke), wondering where she came from, how old she is, who made her... it's an autism-thinghy... hahaha!

She must be very old because the pritchel hole was punched (by the looks of it), not drilled. This means, if my research is correct, that she was made in the first half of the 19th century.

That, amongst other things, makes her so special to me and that's why I'm so eager to learn as much about this anvil as I possibly can!  I don't know how to explain this more clearly but 'not knowing' or 'not being able to find the answes to my questions' drives me nuts! Autism sucks when it comes to things like this... haha.

May Wayland hear my lamentations and pitty me...

Could be I got it right because I'm part Dutch? 

Michael, I agree with Thomas, PLEASE don't do anymore sanding, grinding or just polishing on  that fine old lady. Every molecule of steel you take off is a bit of her life. . . GONE.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning and Welcome from Canada!!

Your Anvil is in excellent condition. It is asking for you to heat something up and get to work on it!!

We use Play-Doh or Modeling Clay, to learn how Hot Metal reacts, on the Anvil. You can use your hands and fingers instead of Hammer and Tongs, or, you can use the Hammer and Anvil to see what something will look like when working/playing on the Anvil. Paint a wide smile under the Horn and a couple eyes on top the cutting plate. Then you will have to name your new Child!! If you look at the Anvil from the end of the Horn (with a little creative thinking) you will see a Face with a long nose!!

Enjoy your new baby, You don't need to know where it was born, to enjoy using it!!

Neil

Thank you, Neil.

You're right, I'll absolutely enjoy using it. 

However: knowing her history and where she came from will make a big difference on the experience. To me it wil add to the magic, otherwise it will be 'just an anvil'... if you know what I mean. 

• 2 months later...

Well, after a lot of cleaning, wire brushing, electrolysis, more wire brushing and many hours of reading I am happy to declare the mystery solved!

Not a Mousehole and not an Isaac Hill.

It's an Attwood - Stourbridge! 

-The weight and makers markings are stamped on the      correct sides: weight left, the rest on the right side.

-There is also an inspector's mark on the front of the base, in the middle, under the horn.

-part of the name ('OOD') is still visible, also part of the word 'warranted' ('ANTE').

Year of production estimated between 1830 and 1850 based on the bulging of the pritchel hole. 

So, there you have it. Not a mysterious  'Jane Doe' anymore. This beautifull lady now has a name AND a history!

Only one thing left to do: build her a glass showcase...           (just kidding)

20220730_205734.jpg