I Forge Iron

Tools from museum

Cool. Thank you.  Any idea of the ages of the tools?

I find it iteresting that the labels are bilingual, in Serbo-Croat and English.  I would like to see more information on them such as date and point of origin.  However, there is a school of thought in museum management to put the minimum amount of information on labels because most folk only look at a display for a very short period of time.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

23 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Cool. Thank you.  Any idea of the ages of the tools?

I find it iteresting that the labels are bilingual, in Serbo-Croat and English.  I would like to see more information on them such as date and point of origin.  However, there is a school of thought in museum management to put the minimum amount of information on labels because most folk only look at a display for a very short period of time.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is notice written on paper wich age it belong in bosnian and english language.

1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

Im interested in the figure of the wood cutter but can't figure out what lapod um is.  I searched.

IT is like sarcofag or tombstone  and that picture is proof of some tribe caled Japod.

"The Iapydes (or Iapodes, Japodes, Giapidi; Greek,"Ιάποδες") were an ancient people who dwelt north of and inland from the Liburnians, off the Adriatic coast and eastwards of the Istrian peninsula. They occupied the interior of the country between the Colapis (Kupa) and Oeneus (Una) rivers, and the Velebit mountain range (Mons Baebius) which separated them from the coastal Liburnians. Their territory covered the central inlands of modern Croatia and Una River Valley in today's Bosnia and Herzegovina. Archeological documentation confirms their presence in these countries at least from ninth century BC, and they persisted in their area longer than a millennium. The ancient written documentation on inland Iapydes is scarcer than on the adjacent coastal peoples (Liburni, Delmatae, etc.) that had more frequent maritime contacts with ancient Greeks and Romans. Iapydes had their maximal development and territorial expansion from 8th-4th cent. BC. They settled mostly in inland mountain valleys between Pannonia and the coastal Adriatic basin, but in disputation with southern Liburni they periodically reached also the northern Adriatic coast at Vinodol valley (classical Valdevinum). The Iapydes were a mixed nation of Celts and Pannonian Illyrians with a strong Venetic element.

Well that picture is proof from earliest  iron age of axe that man used. It is picture on his urn or made some myth about worker with axe.
However its made becaseu of that axe .

Axe is from 1 century if its true .

You can see in left or right down corner ages.

Thank you Natkova! I love that kind of history lesson it gives me enough to do some searching and I love this kind of stuff. :) 

I'd expect some exaggeration on the head stone of a known or famous person of the time. A real wood cutter's axe probably weren't nearly that large nor fancy, though the pol might have been used to turn or pry logs or a tree being felled. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well the flashes can damage exhibits  (though not iron/steel ones AFAIK).  Also many museums sell pictures of their items and you would be tromping on their domain.  I did get permission to take a picture of an ornate hinge in a museum once when I explained to the guard that they didn't have any pictures of it to sell me.  My German was much better back then...

• 2 months later...