I Forge Iron

A new EZ burner maybe

Trevor84

I know more about you guys than I do Ron but by the way he wrote those blue pages he seems like a decent feller so I hope his detachment has helped rather hinder his health. I have read his page over and over, I am not able to quote or cite pages or specific paragraphs, I struggle to recall specific details but the information is definitely upstairs somewhere. 

Time, age, knowledge, wisdom, mistake ughh I'm a pup and I'm feeling those crowed the shadows. 

I may never sit on your picnic table Jerry but the information you and Mike and people like Ron have definitely left something for a lot of random strangers..... People that believe "Frosty" T sounds cool and don't realize that Frosty is a person. 

These burners are the 0.8mm not the proper 0.023. 

It's hard to see but there is too much dragon breathe, the forge is hot but there's a wall of fire outside of the door. 

20220510_203806.jpg

Here is the same burner head but with a 3/4" mixing tube and no reducer. Almost no dragon breath, and the heat... Oh my wow! 

20220512_150225.jpg

Your burners seem to be getting the job done. But, remember that you can have just as much fun improving the forges they heat, once you turn your attention that way :)

I'm always encouraged to see a bright orange forge interior, because it won't happen without burners that are "in the ball park." But, once you start refining your forge, those same burners will turn it lemon yellow. After that, you have to fiddle back and forth between burner refinements and forge refinements (better re-emissive coatings) to get to yellow-white. Of course, anything past lemon yellow is just ''gilding the Lilly." But, some of us old guys have nothing better to do. Younger men are busy pounding iron by lemon yellow.

Honestly Mikey the second image is within 10 min of ignition.... This forge has 2" insulation and the floor and ceiling have closer to 3". The hot face is "unicast 2800" a dense castable refractory, 3/8" thick on walls and ceiling 1/2" and then it's finished of with ITC 100 ht. 

I would throw 3 spikes in and by the time I got to bending the third it was close to the blister point. I have to fashion some kind of system to secure brick/baffle doors that resemble hands or arms. I'm thinking along the lines of a "minion" holding binoculars with hands on the burner mounts with some kind of articulation for the wrist and the arm acts as a brace for the bricks or kiln shelf. 

20220510_194755.jpg

The above image is from the other day with the half inch mixing tubes and here I did not adjust the light filter so the forge looks like a reactor core instead of high orange. 

How many cubic inches in the interior of your forge Trevor? 

I don't get what you're describing about hands wrists and such for holding door baffles. Were it me I'd maybe extend the porch enough to support K-26 insulating fire bricks on edge, maybe extend it maybe 4" or so to each side. Full thickness bricks are stable stacked 2 high on edge if you don't bump them. A couple verticals, one on each side of the opening spaced so bricks on edge can slide easily between verticals and forge and you have an easily adjustable baffle wall.

Two bricks on the bottom, two on top and you can make the opening as wide or high as you wish just be sliding them in, out, left or right.

Make sense? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I will be adding on to the bench/shelf once I formulate a full plan. 

When I talk about wrists and arms youll have to stretch your imagination and pretend there are bricks tucked under his elbows. 

I'm struggling to fully visualize it myself but I'm thinking something that adds to the "minion" look. 

Screenshot_20220513-231019_Chrome.jpg

CI.... The floor is about 4"x12" and about 7"-8" so let's say roughly 400CI. 

Okay, I think I'm stretching into your vision a little. I think you should go to an auto supply, not a big box, a real auto supply and buy a can of bright yellow and one of indigo blue, header paint and paint your forge. The heat will cure the paint, it'll be okay. 

I'm not envisioning monocular minion, (Kevin?) holding baffle bricks under his? . . . elbows?:blink:

I'm stretching and I have a REALLY elastic imagination, I'll get the picture with a few clarifications.

How DO minions keep their suspenders up?:huh:

Frosty The Lucky.