I Forge Iron

It is very possible I made a wrong turn somewhere since I am still new to this, but is there an efficient way to sort/clean used coke. Currently, the fire lasts about 1 hour before it loses heat, at which point, I try and put the clean cokes into one bucket, the dirty cokes into another bucket, and the dust/clinker into another bucket. Is there a way to clean/sort the dirty cokes so I can reuse them without all the junk attached to them also going back into a clean fire?

image1[1440].jpeg

The problem isn't the sorting; it's your fire only lasting an hour! What kind of forge are you using, and what provision (if any) does it have for removing clinker?

If you're using a bottom-blast forge with a clinker breaker, that should take care of things for you. If you're using a bottom-blast with a solid grate or a side-blast forge, take a moment once in a while to run the fire hot for a few minutes, and then let it sit for a few minutes. This should allow the clinker to sink to the bottom of the fire and solidify enough for you to pull it out with your rake.

There is also the possibility that you have low grade coal which has a LOT of non-combustible impurities in it and is generating an excessive amount of clinker.  You could also have gotten coal that is contaminated with rocks which will not burn.  However, as John says, it sounds to me more like a fire management issue.  Even if your coal is generating more clinker than average all that should mean is that you have to clean out the clinker more often.  Loss of heat means loss of air to the fire and that means something, probably clinker, is obstructing the air flow.  Try some different fire management practices and I think the situation will improve.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yes, there is a solid grate at the bottom. Are you saying every 15 minutes turn the fan up to full power for a few minutes and then bring it back down to normal power?

I never really ever get clinker, it all kinda just stays attached to the cokes I think.

I agree with Thomas, check with local smiths who are using the same fuel. The concept of dirty coke does not make any sense, unless its a poor quality coking coal that makes poor quality coke. If thats the case, clean your fire out completely and throw it away and start over with new stuff. Don't separate it and try to save it. When coke burns it turns to clinker and ash. The ash is heavier and should fall to the bottom of your fire pot or grate and you should be able to simply move the unburnt coke to the sides of your fire and the clinker and ash remain at the bottom. 

If you are burning coke, you need two fire clay bricks that you can put on each side of where the fire is. now you can add more coke into this area as you burn whats in your fire. That way your fire will not go out in ten minutes. 

• 1 month later...