I Forge Iron

Anvil, or not

B85EDCC4-946E-4058-A1DE-CE0072D68408.thumb.jpeg.435c39f423d0d4975f6ffbd04916b914.jpeg

D5DB9EFC-8A96-4FF7-83EE-B424B9ADE081.thumb.jpeg.a22b8ee4d5164de6adfb514c1e57ed42.jpeg

2CA7BC47-C8CE-4EF1-A163-843052FBB6DA.thumb.jpeg.8bca98edf8e47f8424ff60532e65d3c3.jpeg

The small face shows signs of being used as an anvil. Based on visual inspection, hardness and rebound, I think it is unhardened cast steel. The opposing holes in the rim pass through. The other two rim holes and the one in the small face are blind. There are no identification marks to be found. 
Given that this is the PNW, there used to be a mill on most street corners and odd looking anvils I’ve seen are often used for tensioning saw blades. This may be another one. 

Any info or guesses are welcome. 

CPH

Good Morning Hawk,

When you are looking for an Anvil, an Anvil can be any shape and size. It is better to play the hand you have, than wait for a perfect hand. A bird in the hand is better than 3 in the Bush.

North West Blacksmith Association will be having their Spring Conference at Longview Fairgrounds, end of May. There will be lots of 'Tailgate Sales', surplus Tools and Equipment, new & used, young bucks and/to geezers (youngsters with many years of experience). Plan to poke your head in.

Neil

I doubt it was originally an anvil, but it could be if you use it as one.  The signs may be from beating it out of an assembly or maybe someone did use it as an improvised anvil.  Either way it would work as an improvised anvil.