I Forge Iron

Help with blower problem

GKChesterton

I bought some blacksmithing tools that had been sitting in an old barn, buried and rusted out.  One item was a champion blower.  It was completely froze up.  Lots of lube later, I got it running again and it works beautifully.  Blades are very free and it turns easily.  Painted it and prettied it up for my forge.  Only problem is first day using this, the housing broke.  You can see the crack running down the side.  Anyone have any advice on fixing this.  I've got a little flux wire welder and can certainly run a bead down it, but I'm thinking it is cast iron and the weld may not take well.  Any ideas for what I could do here?  I've put a lot of effort into this and don't want to give up on it.

blower.jpg

cracked blower 1.jpg

cracked blower 2.jpg

Cross posted with Thomas.  Great minds...

Hope someone comes up with a better solution, but my advice would be to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it progressing further and braze the rest of it shut.  As I understand it, welding cast iron is not a simple process.

Did you drop it or hit it with something?

You might have slightly over tightened the bolts holding the 2 halves of the blower housing together and the stress relieved via the crack.

I suggest drilling a small hole at each end to prevent the crack from propogating and then brazing it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."