I Forge Iron

Buying tools

If I need a tool I will go and buy one, or make one.  I got in the habit of obtaining tools for a single use, knowing I may never need it again. But, should I come into the need for it, it's there.  I loath renting tools, even if I know full well that I'll probably never use it again.    

Is there anyone else out there that will buy a tool for a single use?

In auto repair I have bought some tools for single use because I needed it on a job. Some I haven't needed again, some I or others (lending) have used many more times. 

It really depends on the job and if it is really needed. 

I won't lie, I even bought tools after a miserable task that I made due and have not yet used them since. Might some day tho. 

I have modified or made tools when I was in a pinch. 

I'm sure there are many blacksmith tools out there made for one job or one run. 

I've bought a number of add tools at the scrap yard, yard sale or flea market; some still haven't been used for a couple of decades.  Every once in a while I need an odd tool and am very happy to have one on the rack already!

For example: still haven't used this one---yet!

clawsledge1.jpg.d39ff49ab08c9f970860d0c467123570.jpg

13 hours ago, Daswulf said:

In auto repair I have bought some tools for single use because I needed it on a job

I’ve done the same thing in my equipment repair,

if someone brings something weird in an I need a specific special tool for that one repair that I’ll never do again, I add it in with my parts an labor so I don’t have money tied up collecting dust,

if it’s a tool or machine that I will use over an over regularly then It will pay for itself an I don’t worry about it

11 hours ago, BsnNFrnt said:

in my experience nothing is single use. 

Goodness, if we ever visit I'll have to remember to bring my own toilet paper. :blink:

When I was doing fab jobs I did a quick evaluation of things and bought or rented depending. I already have too many dust collectors though some tools are just too cool not to own one.

Frosty The Lucky.

In short yes. Having spent 25 years rebuilding transmissions i have many tools that have 1 use and 1 use only. Or tools that i have modified for 1 use, like the 18mm wrench that the open end is bent at 45* for the soul purpose of getting to the pressure fitting of a Cadillac power steering pump. 

I have one other problem with tools. Forgetting what i have. I would struggle with something and make due then when i have the opportunity buy that special tool. Then 6 months later need it, forget i have it, make due, then find it the next day in my tool box. 

Some tools pay for themselves way beyond what they cost through continual use. Some may be worth the price at one use because nothing else could get the job done. 

I have bought newer tools that I already had because they were better and more convenient than the old ones. Old ones worked fine but the new better designs and power platforms are more convenient. Say cordless vs. corded, or cordless over air power.

Billy, usually for me it is that I know I have that special tool but it takes me forever to find it.

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

For example: still haven't used this one---yet!

clawsledge1.jpg.d39ff49ab08c9f970860d0c467123570.jpg

Every time I see this photo I get tool envy.  

I bought a dividing head for a one off job that paid well.  Low and behold, I used it for several of my own projects, which added to it's value.  But when I moved I sold it for pennies on the dollar.  Nobody knew what it was or was used for.  It's a toss up.

Ah I know where those sensor sockets are. Just depends if they are at home or at work when I need them. Not buying more than one set of those. 

The last body shop I worked at we did a Lot more of our own mechanical work, suspension and alignments. This one not as much so I have a lot of different mechanical tools between work and my home shop. Be surprised how many doubles of quality tools I have just to not have to drag so much back and forth. It "might" work out when I get old and gone as I have two daughters. That is If I can teach them right to be able to use and want them.  If not, well, more for the auction after I'm gone. 

Back when I was in the bodyshop business, I had several sets of the same tools. Some at home, and some at the shop.  I also had duplicates of some at the shop.

For certian common cars, and tasks, I had put together sets of tools. so when I needed to do a particular task, all the tools needed were in one drawer.

ie; R&R A/C condenser on '96 F150 third drawer down, middle section, all tools needed for that task.

For Most common body fasteners All the tools fit and live on the shelf of my rolling seat. ( 1/4" sockets 1/4", and 4mm- 15mm deep and shallow, 6" long 1/4" ratchet, T10-T30 torx in 1/4", a few 1/4" extensions, clip tool, angle and curved long pick tools, plastic bone tool, needle nose, flat jaw and cut off pliers, 10mm, 12mm and 13mm ratchet wrenches, and bit driver and a few bits, cordless 1/4" impact driver and 1/4" cordless ratchet.) Think that's mostly it off hand.

Other common 3/8" sockets/drivers and wrenches are easy to grab. You really don't need a whole lot on a typical vehicle for most collision repair operations. There are a bunch of odds and ends tools. 

Don't forget the pocket flashlight and Absolute Most used and Important tool the pocket flat head screwdriver with a good magnet on the back end! 

I have many duplicate tools. sets for the garage and another for the house. The garage is about a hundred feet from the house. Can you tell I'm too lazy to walk that distance to get a tool.:D To justify the cost of buying a big roll about tool box, I call the house tools my wife's, she uses them often, I'll make a mechanic out of her yet (actually she is very good with tools).

I've got several garden rake heads mounted various places in the shop, two of them have wrenches hanging on them; by size, one metric and one english.  Keep my "general shop use"  wrenches there.  The better ones are in a closed drawer so as to not tempt folks...

I have multiples from different manufactures also. For instance a Snap-on 8mm socket will get to bolts that a Mac will not. 3 sets of wobble sockets also becuase a Mac set is just a smidge deeper than Matco and Snap-on was always may go to. I have 2 pilot bearing pullers becuase one works better than another in certain situations. 

Since i quit working on trannies my tools are now scattered between the shop, the barn, and the house. After having to search high and low for an O2 socket one of these days i will get them all back together... one of these days.