I Forge Iron

Crucible lifting tongs

Cast and Forge

My only question is whether it is a problem moving a crucible of molten metal with your hands directly above the crucible.  All my crucible tongs grab the vessel at right angles which keeps you further away from the hot stuff.  I have seen ones similar to yours with the tong reins bent at 90 degrees so that the ends of the reins are horizontal in use.

As Irondragon says, stay safe and wear lots of protective gear.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm with George,

Heat goes up, right into your hands. Very poor choice!! How are you going to pour it, toward yourself!!!!! If you don't think SAFETY, you won't be alive very long!! The Tongs look to be very nicely executed. Make the handles come out the side and use 2 people!!

Welcome from the West Coast of North America, Vancouver Island.

Better put your 'Thinking Cap' on.

Neil

Thanks for your feedback guys.

George, swede:

Those tongs are not intended to perform the casting task. They are just used to lift the crucible out of the furnace.

For casting I use a horizontal shank. Those tongs are used for fairly small crucibles that can be handled by a single person, but use with a crane is also possible.

image.png.56e4dc6c9e573265c0ffa9fc22f5519c.png

C&F,  Our replies were based on quite a few folk who ask questions on IFI about casting and, it is obvious that they are very inexperienced and are unaware of the hazards of working with molten metal.  We tend to respond very strongly that this is a very dangerous procedure for the inexperienced and should be approached with a great amount of caution because the outcome of an accident with hot, liquid metal can be life changing or ending.  It appears that you are not in that category and are aware of the necessary safety procedures.

We'd rather overreact in a safety situation than be quiet and later find out that our words could have prevented a serious accident.

Be well and be safe.

George

PS The tongs are very good work.