I Forge Iron

Why is my torch dripping?

Judehey

I have a TS8000 attached to my spare propane cylinder via a 12' braided hose.  While using it yesterday,  I noticed drops of liquid coming out of the nozzle, about a drop every 5 seconds. When the liquid hit the hot metal,  it appeared to burn with a yellow flame.  It was cold, about 30 degrees F.  The tank is chained upright. 

What is this?  It wasn't cold enough for propane to liquify.  I just shut it down and didn't mess with it. 

Not sure what a TS8000 is but propane, under pressure and in the tank, is a liquid.  That is why a tank sloshes when you move it.  You are thinking of the vaporization temperature of propane at which it will not vaporize when the pressure is reduced.  Try wrapping some rags or other insulation around your hose and see if that solves the problem.  You may be getting propane condensation inside the hose between the tank and tip.  That would be my first guess.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The TS8000 is a Bernzomatic torch they sell at most hardware stores for plumbing, etc.. I use one to light my forge.

I've never used any cylinders besides the 400g propane/MAP-Pro gas ones that are sold with it. I wonder if the larger cylinder is just feeding more propane to the torch than it can burn. Maybe try using a regulator?

It is adjusted with a needle valve on the torch handle, not a tank regulator. Right? 

If so the hose is at tank pressure until it passes the needle valve where it expands and loses pressure until it exits at the torch tip. The reduction in pressure drops it's temperature significantly and dripping liquid propane has chilled below it's vapor pressure in ambient pressure.

It's doing this because you're putting more propane through it than it was designed for. It's not a significant problem as in dangerous.

Of course I could be wrong but . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.