I Forge Iron

Cast iron boiler block

HammerDance

I’ve got free access to a seemingly-limitless supply of (used) cast iron boiler blocks/sections from old boilers that have been replaced. Is a block section (I can grab one that’s 2” thick, or some big thick heavy monsters) something worth bringing home to build a stationary forge around? 

There’s at least 1 YouTube video where a guy built a forge from a boiler section, so I know that it will work well for at least the length of a YouTube video. But would it have any long-lasting pros/cons? I would assume that anything too thick would act like a heat sink and suck up too much of the heat that I’m trying to generate. But on the thinner side, is it worth pursuing? I don’t want to waste my time on something free if it’s going to be a drag. 

Additionally, I’d like to use solid fuels in this scenario. I’ve read through a few threads where guys were attempting to forge on cast iron pans, so I guess I just saw this as a heavier alternative that wouldn’t limit my future bacon intake. 

Anything that won't melt, burn or excessively transfer heat and can be made into the right shape can be used for a forge; even Just A Box Of Dirt!

A problem can occur when it's too large/heavy as it makes using/moving it a pain.  I had a student who built a forge from a semi brake drum. First go the fire was too deep, couldn't heat the middle of a bar and burnt the tips off everything he put in at a steep angle. So he filled it with dirt till it was close to the rim and could use it that way but it was such a pain to move he abandoned it when he changed rentals.

Can you show us a picture?

I have a large cast iron "RR forge" that I bought around 1982 and have never used, moved it more times that I'd like to admit thinking that some day I'd work heavy steel in it---previous owner accidentally burnt a piece of RR rail in two in it.  I've finally moved it out of my shop, (made a good table in the shop with a plate of 3/8" steel on it), because even with the 25# LG I don't expect I'll be working that heavy of stock anymore.