I Forge Iron

Straight peen from rr track

ChiefLittleBair

Just finished up this straight peen. Its made from the cap of a rr track. I cut a slab of track about 1.5" thick, then cut the cap from the webbing. The cap was turned into a hammer, and the webbing/foot I upset to about an inch thick and it is becoming a little stake anvil. Spark test definitely showed good carbon content and it quenched fairly well in motor oil. File test still bit, but could definitely tell it hardened up. Probably could have went with water given its mass, but I'd rather have a hammer that is a touch soft, than one that is cracked lol. I tempered to a golden color on the face and peen, heating up the eye first. Given that the file still bit after the quench, I figured not much tempering was really needed. More of a slight stress relief. I'm going to gift it to my friend that gave me the rr track, as the track was given to him by his great uncle who has passed away. 

20220205_143331.thumb.jpg.b4f76b6fe307e238c60cece3573c794f.jpg20220205_143340.thumb.jpg.6a6629c57065023a0458d55d965d113a.jpg20220205_143346.thumb.jpg.0ffe8e9565c343de2fc5acd02e086750.jpg20220205_143411.thumb.jpg.f9e442d5a6489b880226583082cddcbf.jpg

Nice chunk o' steel.

28 minutes ago, pnut said:

I don't think I've ever used a straight pien hammer before

I find them good when you're drawing out a workpiece lengthwise, as the stock in your tong hand and the tool in your hammer hand naturally form a comfortable right angle.

Well, I say "find" -- at the moment, I can't find mine, which I cut down from a 3 lb engineer's hammer. Darn thing's gotta be around here somewhere....

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice job, it looks like a fine hammer. Just be aware that RR rail is nominally 1085 range steel and can get WAY TOO HARD and brittle for a safe hammer. Be careful with the heat treatment.

Frosty The Lucky.

I figured the slower quench in oil and the fact that the file still bit a little after quench, means it didn't reach full harness so I'm not too concerned about it being brittle. But very good point. 

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've managed to find a cross peen sledge at the scrapyard IIRC and have it on my hammer rack.

I found an 8 pound straight peen long handled sledge at a garage sale. Handle was split and taped up along with about 50 finishing nails and even washers driven into the eye to wedge the handle lol. I've cleaned it up and dressed the face, just need to make a short handle for it and it will live on my rack with my other 8 pound short handled sledge. The only junkyard locally that allowed people to dig through the scrap closed a few years ago unfortunately. Its a shame because my buddy and I pulled a lot of good stuff from there. Even a decent wrought iron. 

10 hours ago, pnut said:

I noticed the same thing when using my friend's diagonal pien hammer. It was angled perfectly to draw out stock. The next hammer I'm looking to acquire is a diagonal pien. 

Pnut

I have a diagonal peen in progress right now. Taking a 4 pound sledge and grinding the faces into 45's so I can have a right handed and left handed diagonal peen on one hammer. Hoping to have it weigh around 2 pounds when I'm done. 

I've got a number of straight peens ranging from a couple of Bell System Linesman hammers to some oldie commercial straight peens, to 2 Broad arrow marked 7# sledges---one stamped in the 1940's and the other in the 1980's; both found near El Paso, TX,  USA  at fleamarkets and one heavy sledge 16#?  That one day may become an oliver.

I've mentioned this before but at one SWABA meeting a fellow asked and got permission to use the shop's hydraulic press and took an octagonal faced 4# hammer, heated it in the forge and using the octagonal facets and two bites of the press on each side made a double diagonal peen, the press leaving a nice rounded face on it too!