I Forge Iron

Brand new here (and to the craft), just begun building a JABOD

Hello.  I'm new here.  As noted in my profile, I'm located in Central New Mexico (in the mountains to the east of Albuquerque).

I have been getting fascinated with taking up blacksmithing as a hobby, as I am (rapidly) approaching retirement age and looking for something engaging for when I put my day job behind me.   I am starting from absolute zero, but have been reading books, reading forum posts, and watching videos for several months.  I have a first blacksmithing class in two weeks.  I have tried to read as many posts on the JABOD forge on this forum as I can, and tried to remember what I've read.

Hoping to hit the ground running after my class, I've begun looking at building a JABOD forge, and intend (at least for a little while) to use a bit of railroad track (that I already have) as a surface to work for anvil until I have at least a little skill to justify getting a proper one --- I expect that at first I'll mount the track on some old stumps I have scattered around the hovel, but later build a sturdier and less makeshift support.  I expect that at first I'll be using lump charcoal for fuel, because it's easier to obtain, but hope that whatever JABOD I build will be suitable for coal as well. 

I also expect that I'll be spending a great deal of time just practicing the basics on scrap steel.  I see a large number of S hooks in my future.  Fortunately, my wife is of an artistic *and* outdoorsy bent, and has been creating decorative panels around our porch with all manner of rusty mining tools and homestead items that she's found on her hikes  --- all of them currently hanging on bits of baling wire or shiny store-bought hooks.  So some hand-forged S hooks would really round out her displays.  Yeah, obliging husband.  That's what this is.

Anyway... I started my JABOD build today using scrap lumber from my lumber pile.  I had only 2x6, 2x10, and 2x12 in sufficient quantity, so I went with the 2x10 for the box.

I decided to post now with where I stand and what I plan on doing for the JABOD so someone can stop me if I've obviously made plans to do the stupidest thing possible.

My intent is to fill the box 3" deep with local soil, make a fire box out of some firebrick I have, and then fill the remainder of the box up to about 7.5" deep with soil and/or kitty litter (the soil in the mountains east of Albuquerque, where I live, sets up like concrete when it's dry, but right now is under almost a foot of snow).  I expect that between that much soil *and* the firebrick, there should be enough material between the fire and the walls of the box to keep it all safe.

Knowing (from posts I've read here) that the 2x10 box will have walls that are too high to allow me to lay steel flat across the fire, I've notched the sides of my box down to the level where I expect the top of the firebox and soil to be when I'm finished.

The attached picture is of where I stand right now, with the box assembled from 2x10 with a base of 3/4" plywood.  The outside measure of the box is 24"x24", and that makes it only about 21" square on the inside.  The fire brick is arranged as I expect to arrange it, but of course there's not the three inches of soil under it that there will be when I'm farther along in the build.  As I have it here, the firebox would be about 3.5" deep, 3.5" wide, and 9" long --- and as I said, my plan is to have the bottom of the notches on the front and back sides level with the top of the firebricks on the corresponding sides.  But I could rearrange them fairly easily if that turns out not to be a good size or orientation.

I plan to cut legs for the box this weekend, and since the 2x10 box, 3/4" plywood, and 2x6 legs will be quite chonky, I've got some workbench casters that I intend to mount on the legs (the kind that have a lever that you push down on to lower the caster/raise the bench) so I can move it around from where I plan to forge (the center of my driveway, far from the trees) and where I plan to store it (not in the center of my driveway :)).  Depending on how stable it feels, I might have to add some cross-braces to the legs that would make it even heavier, but I'm going to wait to see if that's needed.

My intent is to cut out a hole in the firebrick for the tuyère where the two vertical firebricks meet --- I'm going to use a 12" long, black steel 3/4"ID sched 40 nipple for the tuyère and angle it slightly upward towards the right side of the box, where I intend to mount a hand-pump "double action" mattress inflater for a bellows very much like the one in the Mark III JABOD posts.

My current plan is to have the tuyère enter the firebox about 1" above the bottom brick.  I've chosen the location of the firebox in the forge box to be slightly closer to the right side than to the center, so that the 12" pipe I'm using will extend far enough out of the box to give it space to cool before connecting to the plastic hose from the bellows.

Have I said anything here that is outrageously unrealistic or unworkable from the outset, or am I giving myself something close to workable and easily adjusted as I get some experience?

PXL_20220204_233342834.jpg

Dear Tom,

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming. Glad to have you.  I hope that you find the craft as rewarding as I have for the last 44 years.

I'm not a JABOD expert but to my untutored eye you are on the right path.  Others will comment further.

You are in a good area.  When my wife and I decided that we didn't want to spend the rest of our years in eastern Colorado we looked at Northern NM and the Sandias would have been on the short list.  We did a lot of driving around in the area.  My wife's daughter and grand daughter are in Albuquerque.  

There are quite a few smiths in NM and you should be able to meet up with them pretty easily.  

Good luck.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yes, I'm hoping that this class (which is taught by Dave Sabo, a member of the NM Artists Blacksmith Association) will be the first of many local smiths I meet.  There's another I have heard of who lives about 10 miles from me who used to have a blacksmithing school, but I believe it is defunct and that he mostly just makes unbelievably beautiful ironwork such as fireplaces, chandeliers, and door hardware.

Happy New Year Tommy,

Welcome from the Left Coast. 5 feet above sea level, not below the water line!!   By the bird in a straight line, about 100 miles from Seattle (one Ferry ride, one Border crossing, 3 hours driving = at least 7 hours by vehicle).

Start simple, use Play-Doh. Play-Doh you can manipulate in your hands, Hot Metal you need Tools. They work the same, learn in your hands!! Start with the basics of Forging, Forge it square, Forge it Octagonal, Forge it round. Your/our wrists will turn 1/4 turn, that makes 2 flats (one from your Hammer, One from your Anvil on the bottom). Turn your work 1/4 turn, that makes 2 flats, 90 degrees from where you started. Turning 1/4 turns equals a square. Play with your Play-Doh and you will understand.

Enjoy the Journey, Don't take too much seriously, give your heart a rest, Enjoy the ride. Today? Tomorrow? same same.

Neil

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.   Looks like you are off to a flying start and on the right path. As far as videos go there are good ones and bad ones. Here is a list of the good ones.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/44225-a-collection-of-blacksmithing-links-on-youtube/

My go-to youtube channel is black bear forge, and I've watched something like 120 of his "blacksmithing for beginners" videos.  His style of presentation is pretty much what I like.

I've seen others, but some are too "high energy" for this old fart.  I watch 30 seconds, get annoyed with the music, and then want to go chase kids off the lawn.

I've watched a boatload of Mark Aspery's videos, too, and more than a few of those from Torbjörn Åhman.

Edited by TommyVee
Follow-up was merged into earlier one, deleted the now-unnecessary quote.

Good Morning,

Seeing and Doing are 2 completely different functions. When you start Doing, you may get exasperated because it is not going as you had envisioned. Walk slow, ask yourself 'Why did the Instructor/Mentor suggest I do something a certain way?' ' What does he/she mean, Drawing Out, Upsetting, Punching, Drifting, getting Hammered, etc?' This is not a conflict resolution, it is a new language. Yes, there are seven different types of procedures, but a miriade of different ways to do each procedure. There is no WRONG WAY. Which ever way works, that is the Right Way. Many people have many perceptions, that this has to be done this way. There are no Blacksmith Police. There are very few Perfect situations, compared to what??

Take little steps and get Hammered!!

Neil

7 hours ago, TommyVee said:

I watch 30 seconds, get annoyed with the music, and then want to go chase kids off the lawn

Yep, I don't understand why people make video's with music blaring away while talking. Or they tell you how hot Georgia is in August 3 years ago when they made the video.

Nice build for not knowing what's going to work for you Tommy. While I've never built a JABOD I've made similar forges. One was a pile of dirt on a table and that was a long time before I knew what a fire back was so I didn't use anything like split fire brick to  make the trench. I just rammed it hard and scooped till I have a trench I liked. 

I think I would've built the box from 2x8 and skipped the cut outs. Bear in mind I've never built nor used a JABOD. I'm primarily a propane forge guy but have worked in whatever fire was handy. 

About putting legs on it. That's getting away from a JABOD don't you think? One of the beauties of a JABOD is being able to dump the dirt, maybe into a couple plastic buckets, maybe back in the garden or ditch and putting it all in a corner or the trunk of your car to transport. Legs sort of make it a permanent forge, Hmmm? A steel bucket and water for the charcoal of course, you don't want to be hauling smoldering charcoal with or storing it in the shop after all. That's a B A D N E S S on TOAST thing. :o

What you've built is excellent, just not what I would've. I didn't build it so it's just fine. You might want to find larger pipe for the tuyere like 1" or a bit more though, 3/4" is pretty small and will want to deliver a too fast blast. Charcoal likes a soft blast, lots of slow gentle air works better in a charcoal fire. If you aim it between two split bricks you won't have to drill holes in one Did I say HOLES, PLURAL? Why Yes I did, What are the chances you'll get the right height for the tuyere first try? Adjust the height in a slot between two bricks and tamping the space above and below is pretty darned adjustable. 

I have to admit it's not nearly as adjustable as scraping a space in a mound of compacted soil but it's a close second and you don't have to worry about the fire trench drying out and  collapsing so that's a plus. Big plus for split brick fire trench. ;)

Sorry, I don't see any extremely stupid mistakes in your build but . . . nobody's perfect.:rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, 2x8 would have been better, but as I said, I built this from scrap in my scrap pile.  I only had 2x6, 2x10, and 2x12 in enough quantity to make a 2'x2' box.  If I'd wanted 2x8 it would have meant a trip to the lumber yard.

I don't have anything stable to support this box (it's currently sitting on some rather flimsy saw horses), so it needs some legs.  I could make a base that the box could be removed from just as easily as screwing on legs permanently.  I might do that.

Using 3/4" pipe for the tuyère was something I was going to do only because I've seen so many posts here saying that's the right size to use for a JABOD.  I wasn't married to the idea and if 1" is better for charcoal I'll try it.   But you've got a good point that if I just slide the two bricks apart and tamp something above and below the tuyère I can simplify my life, and let me use a different size more easily than trying to drill or chisel out a hole.

Hmmm, I thought you had 2x8 on your list, using what you have rather than buying new is the blacksmith way. Nevermind. 

As to making it easily portable, it all depends on whether you want to move it around and how far. Legs are a good thing, I hate working off saw horses, they're almost always too low and shaky is pretty common. 

Just because I'd do something different doesn't make it better, right or you wrong. It's just what has worked for me and everybody's different. One of the beauties of the JABOD is how easy it is to experiment with different configurations till you find what you like.

Most of my charcoal smithing has been around camp fires in the bush somewhere. My blast was often made with found sheet metal directing a prevailing breeze into the tuyere. Blast control was by partially blocking the breeze or changing the sheet metal air scoop. Every single time it was an experiment and that was as much fun as beating found steel into something else. I finally upped my game by bringing a RR rail anvil and pair of tongs. I forged with a drill hammer and used a chisel to cut. 

It takes very little.

Frosty The Lucky.

Howdy, I'm in Central NM too; just north of Socorro and I can see the lights on I25 from my house/shop! I expect we'll meet up at a NMABA meeting; sorry that Today's was cancelled for Covid safety reasons.  (I have 2 daughters and 4 grandsons in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho area.)

Solid mass is that makes an improvised anvil good, so a cube of steel rather than a RR track or I beam---got a good scrapyard down here off of exit 156, go under the interstate and take the first road to the left/north---right by the cemetery and go till you see the scrapyard on the right.  PM me and I can send you the phone number so you can make sure they are open---9-noon on Saturdays except when they are not---family business.

I'm still working a "day job" but my last day is Feb 28!

Hmmm.  I had read that RR tracks aren't the best choice for anvil substitute, but I hadn't found a ready source of anything beefier yet.

Thank you for the tip about a scrapyard nearby.  There are lots of scrapyards in Albuquerque, but they seem mostly geared to buying metal for recycling or selling auto parts ("U Pull Em") from the information they have out on the web and such.  I haven't scouted around much, though, and there are quite a few of them down on Broadway, so I need to do a little more legwork and actually pop into some of them to see what their deal really is.  There's a place in Albuquerque ("Koenig's Metalmorphosis") that has lots of scrap and new metal, but they seem awfully proud of their old rusty metal.  It's where I got my chunk of RR track. 

If I can't find a hefty chunk of steel in one of the scrapyards down Broadway next time I'm in Albuquerque, I'll plan on a trip to Socorro and PM you about it.  I only get to town once every few weeks, but one of my reasons for heading to town takes me right past those scrap yards.

Congratulations on your impending release from your day job.  I am probably going to be in mine for another 368 days, give or take, but who's counting?

On 2/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, TommyVee said:

(the soil in the mountains east of Albuquerque, where I live, sets up like concrete when it's dry, but right now is under almost a foot of snow)

Build a campfire, toast some marshmallows, and then dig up the thawed ground under where the fire was. Problem solved.

21 hours ago, TommyVee said:

My go-to youtube channel is black bear forge

Good choice.

2 hours ago, TommyVee said:

I had read that RR tracks aren't the best choice for anvil substitute,

Sitting flat, they're not. Stood on end, they're fine. 

In any event, Welcome! Enjoy!

:)

It's melting on its own now that the sun's out.  Will have soil soon.  Or rather, will have mud soon.  If I just scrape the stuff off the dogs' paws when they come in tomorrow, I can probably fill half the box.

But some toasted marshmallows do sound tasty...

Tom, the last time I was in Albuquerque I stopped by the "Antique Specialty Mall" in the 4500 block of Central Ave SE and discovered a booth selling various blacksmith stuff.  There wasn't a lot I needed and the prices seemed a bit rich but you might want to check it out the next time you come down from the mountain.  There was a pair of titanium tongs that tempted me but about $100 was too much for me.  IIRC the booth was about in the center of the large room of the mall.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Anachronist58: Thanks for the thread pointer.  I had seen that thread and since it was easy to find a railroad track (one of many other improvised anvils in that thread) I figured I'd start there.  I will, of course, keep looking at that thread and keep looking for a better option.  At this point, I just want to get started ASAP, and I almost have enough to make some tentative first forgings to practice whatever I learn in the class I have in 2 weeks.

George N.M: Cool.  I am almost never in that part of town but will try to swing through that "Antique Specialty Mall" next time I go to town.  I'm gathering quite the list of options through this thread, and thank all who've made suggestions.

You could fill that box up with dry kitty litter and get to forging today. No need to wait for the snow to melt or building any fires to melt it. Two or three big bags should do it. 

Welcome aboard, be safe, and remember it's supposed to be fun. 

Pnut

On 2/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, TommyVee said:

Using 3/4" pipe for the tuyère was something I was going to do only because I've seen so many posts here saying that's the right size to use for a JABOD. 

It's the right size for a JABOD with a six inch hot spot that will heat up to one inch stock. It's what I've used for all of my JABOD builds because it's the first piece of pipe I found. I'm still using the same piece today haha.  As far as entry level anvils go VEVOR, Accaiao makes pretty good cheap anvils. I have one as well as a long piece of rail mounted vertically. I use both of them still depending on what I'm doing. 

Pnut

Thank you, Charles.  After looking over the improvised anvil thread and some other comments including yours, that is exactly what I plan to do.  In fact, I think cobbling together a stand for it that holds it vertically will be easier with the specific pile of scrap lumber I have lying around the hovel than would a stand that held it horizontally.