I Forge Iron

Red Label vs Combat Abrasives

Hey guys - anyone use both brands and have an opinion on which is better? I’ve heard great things about both. I’m a big fan of Jason Knights knife making YouTube and he swears and I believe is sponsored by Red Label. I’m also a huge fan of John Switzer from Black Bear Forge on YouTube. He’s sponsored by Combat. I ordered some belts from combat with John’s discount code for my little 1x30 a while back and they were pretty good but the grinder was kind of a joke lol so I don’t think I got their full potential. Just upgraded to a 2x42 and wanted to try some Red Label belts but even without the Black Bear discount and plus shipping I literally got almost double the amount of combat belts that I would have gotten had I spent the same amount on the red label. Just curious if anyone thinks the red labels are really that much more superior and worse the price difference. Thanks. 

I have not used either, but the name Combat Abrasives is enough for me to never try them. One thing that really annoys me is making everything a tactical item. We are talking about abrasives.......not some offensive military vehicle. And we wonder why we have a problem with violence in the USA. 

Wombat Abrasives would be too soft and fuzzy for aggressive grinding. Could make an awesome surface conditioning belt, though.

As for the original question, I sometimes wonder how many of these competing products are simply private labeling of the standard products from 3M, Norton, or the like.

I had a fellow come by the forge who said he had been a seal and wanted to forge a combat blade.  Wellllllll you run into folks.....

Then he said he wanted the blade part to be 4" long as he had "never run into anything he couldn't handle with 4" of blade!"  Made a believer out of me!

• 1 month later...

My first and nearly last martial arts instructor didn't carry a weapon, he used whatever was at hand.

It wasn't so much a Karate school as it was a self defense school. Outside of practicing Bo with rattan we mostly practiced improvising weapons AFTER an hour of bare hands martial arts. 

No "thing" is dangerous. Humans are dangerous, always.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...

I have not used red label, but I would not recommend combat for ceramic belts. I have some 2x72 ceramics from them and they have no longevity at all.

I recently spoke to someone who carries their line and he said they have had many other complaints of the same thing.

Blaze belts are good as are tru-grit. I have also just purchased some of Brodbeck Ironworks ceramic belts and they seem to work exceptionally well.