I Forge Iron

Anvil Heater

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Ok I have a question for you smart guys. IF a man was to wrap his anvil ( waist ) in heat tape ( fill in the blank on wattage ) and just plug that tape in like a tank heater, what if any effects would occur to the metallurgy ( forged wrought anvil - Hay Budden to be precise ). Thanks.

That should be an alternating current so no problem with magnetic effects. Won't get hot enough to draw the temper on the face. The only effect I can guess at would be to help keep the anvil above the ductile/brittle transformation. You would probably have to remove the tape before using ans the odd bit of dropped hot steel is hard on such things.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah.... cold anvils,I know about those.I don't fire up unless it is above -20C,my shop is unheated.I have a propane construction heater with a fan that I use to warm the shop. I aim it at the anvil,kinda killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
In addition I have a piece of 4x1/4 flat bar that I put in my gasser while it is getting up to forging heat.I put that on the anvil face a couple of times and it warms it all up quite well.
At -20c the whole process takes about 35 minutes.I usually shut off the heater and the forge keeps the shop warm from there on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It usually doesn't get that cold in Arizona but when it does I use an electric iron I picked up at a yard sale for a buck. I sit that on the anvil face and by the time my steel is hot it has taken the chill out of my 300 lb anvil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought about using one of those heating pads some of us need to use for aches and pains? You could lay it over the anvil and put a blanket over it. I don't heat the anvil, but in the winter it sure draws the heat out of the work when you lay it on the anvil to hit it....