I Forge Iron

Todays work, BBQ tools.

Started about 2 months making BBQ flippers. First weekend I made 5.
Sold every one from my office at work.
Next weekend I made 10. They took 5 days to sell.
Then I started making matched sets. Flipper and a fork. First weekend made 3 sets. Sold all three that monday.
Next thing I knew people were asking, "hey, can you make me a set that looks like-----".
Sold one set with leaf handles, and the guy came in 2 days later and wants 3 sets for xmas presents.
I currently only have about 8 hanging in my office. These are all to fill orders.
The first pic is the twisted blanks before the fire. I use a Harbor Freight picket twister.
The last pic, although not that good, is what they look like after I put a finish on them. Wire brushed, sharpened up with a die grinder, run the colors with my tourch, and brush on Linseed oil while they are still hot.
blanks.JPG 08-24-08a.JPG leafhandles1.JPG bbqset2.JPG

This is what the leaf handles look like all finished.
Wire brushed, then hit with a torch to run some color.
I then lightly brush with a brass brush to add a little "ANTIQUE", and then brush on linseed oil while it is still to hot to touch and wipe down before it hardens.

leafhandles2.jpg

Stainless source - My transfer station ("The Dump") doesn't normally allow picking from the metal pile, but if I ask nice I can usually get something that's in easy reach. I recently scored a stainless steel sink that will serve for a few flippers.

I suppose if I were selling in any quantities, that source wouldn't be the most reliable. But for a hacker, it'll do.