I Forge Iron

Show Us Your Shop

This thread is inspired off of the show me your anvil, vise, etc...

Anyhow here's mine, I made the bench today that's in the picture, and am currently re-organizing everything. And if you would kindly leave a description for where you keep your items, or organize stuff, etc.... stations..etc...

Picture 1: Entrance to shop.
Picture 2: Bin of Spikes, and the tub has new stock in it. Keeps it new until you use the metal. :)
Picture 3: You can see the extra anvil, rr track, main anvil horn and my blower.
Picture 4: Forge is running, just burning wood up. Cuz I felt like it. Lol.
Picture 5: Beginning of bench. I might mount the post vise there. Should I?
Picture 6: Bench again.
Picture 7: Bench again.
Picture 8: Anvil & Stand.
Picture 9: View of shop from post vise.
Picture 10: Post Vise

7953.attach

7954.attach

7955.attach

7956.attach

7957.attach

7958.attach

7959.attach

7960.attach

7961.attach

7962.attach

Edited by m_brothers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,
I really like your forge stand. I have been trying to picture one like it for myself, but keep getting "designer's block".
Mind if I borrow and modify?

Oh, and what is that roaster pan looking thing on the side? slack tub?

Paul, you or anyone can feel free to copy/modify anything I have " invented". :D
The "roaster pan" is a stainless steel steam table pan that contains the oil I use to heat treat the knife blades I make. It holds about 4 1/2 gals. It sits on an angle iron frame with adjustable height legs above a dual burner hot plate. The oil has to be preheated to 130F for heat treat. My slack tub is a stainless steel beer keg.
Here are some close up pics.

7986.attach

7987.attach

My kids call it Poppy's Playhouse. I call it home.
While (when ever I get around to it) I re-arrange the shop to get the forge in it's own little corner, It has no hood. At least the ceiling is 24' tall!
playhouse1.JPG forgearea2.JPG

Edited by rlarkin

Here's my little corner of the covered patio. Just swapped the electric squirrel cage for a Buffalo forge 300 Blower. 104 lb PW on a wooden stand, rod stock bent to fit in the VW Bug gets hung over nails in the patio roof framing . Post vise bolted to a 2x8 that's bolted to the woodshop wall. Bucket for a slack tub. The tiny MAPP gas forge is on steel plant stand to the left. Cement board behind the brake drum forge to protect the wooden shop wall.

About 8 feet on a side is the part of the patio that I use.

Michael-Frightening the neighbors since the year Four

Thanks for the compliment. Don't know how much different it is yet, the purchase of the blower inspired a rearranging of the whole smithing set up. So far, all I've done is a couple of small fires with shavings to test out the blower after the rearrange, but the air supply is AWESOME!! Just a nudge of the blower handle and I've got a good draft, I may have to be gentle.

The forge downtime gave me a chance to try a couple of things I've been meaning to do, clay the forge for one. Not for any thermal insulation, just to try and get a more bowl shaped in the brake drum firepot, the ridges in the bottom have been a minor PITA. The first layer cracked in a very uniform manner, the ring of clay separating around the circumferance, last night another layer in the gaps and it looks good, might work, might not. Also drilled the side of the brake drum for a U shaped rod that will act as a shelf/tong rack, and put a section of fireplace screen in the smokestack to act as a spark arrestor.

Hopeing to get a little hammering in this weekend.

Thanks Frosty........soon I will post a thread explaining more about the new shop. my dad sawed the lumber I salvaged in 1950........using a sawmill that was powered by a Packard motor. For 50 years, it was a tobacco barn

As far as the Stihls........we have 3.......that way we always have one that is running!

Interior floor space of my shop is 17' X 43'. I built an office/storage area at the far end, taking 8' off that end of the shop. It actually helped as I need the storage and office area. These are from 4 years ago, I will try to update with another interior shot. I have rearranged the end where one power hammer is, there are now 2, one in each corner with an anvil and forge, etc.

8060.attach

8061.attach

8062.attach