I Forge Iron

Stands stands stands!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What AM I going to do with you Billy? You EMPTY the sand out before moving a sand box anvil stand. <sigh> You DID take the anvil off first didn't you? 

That steel tubing stand must be pretty heavy itself but an easy move with a hand truck. A grunt to load it in a pick up but not too bad. A couple plastic buckets for the sand and the anvil is the HEAVY thing to move. I think I'd make tong and hammer racks from round stock say 3/4" pipe for the outside part of the racks so they'd make comfortable lift handles. Hmmmm? take the hammers and tongs off first too. Yes?

I just noticed your question Kmaddox. Any damping effects of a sand stand are insignificant. The only real noticeable difference is how it damps the anvil's ring. Civilizes them nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the square tube. Sit the Anvil on top of the plywood, sitting on top of the Sand. This cuts down on the sinking Anvil. If you want to change the height of the Anvil, remove or add sand as desired. The plywood cuts down on the sand landing up on the Floor. Keep It Simply Simple (K.I.S.S.).

Neil

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

A grunt to load it in a pick up

I cheat on stuff like that…I got a 1000 pound capacity Tommy lift gate on the truck :ph34r: lol

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think I'd make tong and hammer racks from round stock say 3/4" pipe for the outside part of the racks so they'd make comfortable lift handles

That’s a really good idea! Thanks!

I’m definitely gonna see what I can come up with! 

swedefiddle,

thanks, I had Glenn suggest the plywood idea to me yesterday as well,

The adjustable height ability is why I wanted to try this style stand out,

Sandbox anvil stands are talked about here just not very often. Most people want a wood block (section of log or milled timber), some even bury an end. I use a steel tripod which damps the ring of my dangerously loud anvil very well, though you don't see many fabricated steel stands. 

My thoughts are, folks think of the blacksmith's craft as old timey and the "tradition" is to put your anvil on a piece of log. Most people's only exposure is TV and Movies so a "stump" is what they expect and if they take up the craft its what they want. 

A sand box stand has so many things going for it I think it's lack of popularity is just a matter of exposure. And Europe is much more "traditional" than this continent, our history is barely 600 years old, Europe has had human civilizations for what, 3,000? That's a loooong time for the, "It was good enough for my father it's good enough for me" culture to take hold.

Of course that's just what I think, I COULD be wrong.:rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Most of the shops I've seen here we're also in living history museums. Overall blacksmithing is also not as popular as I think it is in the United States. I've sees some blacksmith's shops online from businesses that make architectural stuff, iirc they often have steel stands.

~Jobtiel

Thanks for your test an review Randy! 

i think I’m really gonna like using these new stands, being adjustable an bein able to swap out anvils on the same stands is gonna be nice!

Here’s a picture for y’all that didn’t make it yesterday, me an Randy worked using a unknown 180 pound two horn anvil I had set directly in the sand, 330DCA11-003B-4711-BD93-6319BE4172EB.thumb.jpeg.65da0b2d3744712ade9cf3e6ac519fac.jpeg

It'd be pretty easy to make various racks, trays, etc. that would clip over the edge of the stand and be secure but easy to remove to transport. Or you could have a hanger on a shop wall to hold tool racks, trays, etc. not currently in use. For example a can of punch lube with a clip like a belt clip hanging where it's handy. When you're done punching it clips on the rim on the table behind or next to you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's how it looked on the day I finally identified and dated it: 

IMG_20150802_195819488_HDR.thumb.jpg.662b25e52f99517cb515fa59999408a7.jpg

It has since been moved to a metal stand and had my treadle hammer attached, so you can't really see it from this angle any more.

• 2 weeks later...