4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Make sure you get sharp sand rather than riverine

Thanks for the tip JHCC, I’ll try to remember that when I go looking for sand,

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Boat Wench

I think it was in the movie, never ending story that I heard the line

“to the winch wench!” lol 

Thanks for the tip Jerry!

I’ll have to find a gravel pit first, I don’t believe there are any crushing operations in my county, but theres probably some over in tahlequah or Muskogee they got a lot more stuff going on then we do over here. Lol, 

On the bottom of the stand is it better to weld the plate on the bottom with a lip sticking out all the way around or cut the plate to fit inside the pipe and weld it internally? Or does it really matter? 

I’ve been looking at pictures and there doesn’t seem to be any consistency on how anyone does it, 

Call a company that sells gravel, they have to get it somewhere if they don't own a pit. A concrete batch plant buys gravel too and there's bound to be one within about 30 minutes of town, concrete doesn't like living in the truck drum too long, it doesn't set up but it can get weird. Don't ask me, I don't know but I've heard it from a number of concrete guys.

The base plate wider than the stand is a good thing. Might want to grind a bevel on the edge so it won't hook a boot. Tripping in the shop is a bad thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Tripping in the shop is a bad thing.

That was my main concern, but your idea would work,

anvil, I love that little orange tractor! It’s handier than a pocket on a shirt! 
It sure beats moving stuff by hand! But I’ll admit since I got it I’ve gotten kinda spoiled and lazy using it lol

Over the years I’ve seen a lot of really cool and good ideas people have built to hook up to the ptos on their tractors, from air compressors to welders water pumps and welders but I can honestly say I haven’t seen anyone building a pto driven winch yet! 

that’s an awesome idea! 

Personally If I was to make a front winch setup for one of my tractors I’d be lazy lol,

I think I’d go with a 12v winch and weld up a bracket that either bolts up to the front bumper or the top of the loader bucket, that way I could remove it for various projects when it would be in the way, and I’d run heavy welding cable under the tractor to the winch and have quick disconnects hooked to it, 

Im not a hundred percent sure but if a body were to make a pto drive winch I think you would have to get a reduction gear box to slow things down, because the pto is pretty fast and has lots of torque and personally I’d be afraid of things moving to fast to react in time shut down the pto before something really exciting happens and the tractor climbs a tree lol, 

like in that movie (the gods must be crazy) we’re the guy winches his Land Rover up a tree lol, 

the only other thing I could think of that might cause trouble with a rear mount winch, would be the wire rope running under the tractor forward you would need to build a pulley system to route the cable, because without it then it might accidentally cut into a hydraulic line or catch on something and end up leaving a guy dead in the water on a hill side in the woods 5 miles from the truck in -18 degrees weather… that would be my luck lol, 

I don’t know how you planned on mounting it, but if you were to go with building the rear mount gear box idea, I’d build a three point frame to mount it on, and build the Drive line to hook to it, 

I’ve seen an air compressor and a water pump that were just chained in place and they worked okay but I’d feel more comfortable if it was securely mounted to a three point frame lol,

then I’d make a capstan type rig to mount to it, an have at least two caged pulleys underneath to lock that cable in place, 

I just say all that because if that winch ever broke free from chains and was spinning out of control with a torquey Diesel engine driving it, then that steel cable would be whipping around to the point it could destroy anything it came in contact with,

Sorry im definitely not any kind of expert on designing pto driven equipment, I’ve built some three point equipment but I’ve never tried building a pto winch, it’s a really cool idea if you build one I’d be very interested in seeing pictures of your setup! I might have to copy it an try it out myself lol, 

I think Anvil was speculating about running a shaft from the PTO to a front mounted winch. I'd be concerned with bending the shaft myself. 

Were it me I'd mount a hydraulic winch and hide the hoses from potential damage. A high volume high pressure pump doesn't take up much room and can be run off the fan belt. IF the tractor doesn't already have a suitable hyd pump that is.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh! I didn’t think about it that way, thanks for pointing that out Jerry!

I apologize anvil I didn’t understand that’s what you we’re getting at! 

on that note that makes more sense, kinda like a drive line under a vehicle, 

I would still put a reduction gear box on it to slow the shaft down a bit,

I didn’t think about hooking into the hydraulics that’s a good idea Jerry,

if you have remotes already plumbed I’m that would be even easier 

Thanks for the input. Frosty hit it on the head. I have a setup on my Willys pu that I thought might work. Its also the setup used for a pto driven front mount snow blower. This tractor stuff, and especially hydraulics, is all pretty new to me, so I'm in the planning stage. The willys pto mounts directly to the main driveline and is a chain drive that changes the direction to the front. Then I installed two carrier bearings(hope i got the correct name) that support the long drive shaft that connects to the winch. I'm guessing this will keep the driveshaft from trashing. I came across a pto driven snowblower a few daze ago on line, but I have not found any info on how it changes direction, nor an aftermarket bolt on unit to do what I want to do. I have a couple of pto driven willys winches that I used to do the log work on a log house, so I know they will do the job. I just need to connect it to the tractor.,,, just,,, Whenever I hear a client say "just", I triple the price and run for cover!

My project is to build a gin pole setup run by pto and winch for lifting logs and a heavy duty come along to raise and lower the pole. I have a bobcat quick release for the loader and thought I could build an attachment with a swivel point that would support the pole. The attachment would have two manual outriggers. The heavy duty come along would be between a cable from the back of the tractor{backhoe) to the top part of the gin pole. With the outriggers and the cable I have 3 points for stability to secure the gin pole, the come along to raise\lower the gin, and the winch to raise and lower the log. 

I have forks, but I dont think the hydraulics are powerful enough to lift the logs, nor will they raise the log high enough as the walls grow in height if they have the power. I don't know how the pto output connects to the main driveline on my tractor. I'm guessing it is similar to my willys, but maybe not even close. I'm sure the engine has all the power I need where the hydraulics may not if thats where the pto connects.

I did not know there was a hydraulic winch. Thats interesting. The loader has two sets of hoses. The ones for dumping the bucket could be used for the hydraulic winch. 

I understand the need for gear reduction, but never dealt with it in a situation like this. I dealt with this on my giant bandsaw. Basically I figure i need the pto rpm and the rpm used for my winch, then somewhere between the pto output and changing the direction to the front, I have a gear reducer.  Ive seen right angle gear reducers available, and guess this is a solution. Perhaps there is a better one? My willys is pretty slick. With an over drive, high and low range, and the transmission, I have more gears than carter has liver pills.  I dont think this is possible on the tractor. Lol maybe i can plumb in a t-90 transmission and transfer case and be on familiar ground. 

Its early in the winter, so this might end up in the scrap pile, but hey, its a long way to spring. 

What do you think, Frosty, Think it is doable?

I looked up hydraulic winches and they look pretty pricy, the 12v is way cheaper, 

but I was curious if you could use a hydraulic pump as a motor, 

Ive got a hydraulic pump I pulled off a big auger that had a blown engine, I know it’s designed to have a motor drive it and make it pump,

but what if a guy instead hooked a supply and return line to it? Would it work as a motor? 

if so then you could build a capstan to mount to it and have a hydraulic winch at a fraction of the cost6F43A258-E6F9-43D1-85A1-A62F77621C67.thumb.jpeg.a36992539ecac88a46f577b057113697.jpeg

Sure it's doable Anvil but maybe not so simple. 

What I remember about tractors though is they aren't too hard to tip over so I don't know about lifting a load on a cable and moving it. Mounting the crane to the front end and you could lay the bucket on the ground to stabilize it. Mounting it to the rear and you could scoop the bucket full of wet dirt for a good counterbalance. 

The heavier and higher you lift it the more unstable the crane becomes. 

The more I think about it the more important the basic physics of height and weight become. How high do you want to lift a load? 

Building a jib boom crane using a winch to lift would be pretty straight forward but keeping it all standing right side up might be pretty tricky. 

Are there any pictures you've seen of what you're thinking of? 

Hydraulic winches work really well you need a high volume pump, the one working the bucket, etc. are high pressure. It'd work a winch but it'd be slow. It'd be simple to change out the existing pump for a high volume pump and install a flow limiter to the lift cylinder control valves so the bucket didn't become a catapult. That' simple and they're are off the shelf and common components though not as vehicle type drag winches. 

I don't know enough about your tractor or what you want to use it for to be able to suggest how you should do it.

Certainly doable though but maybe not a good idea. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry I forgot to get a picture while it was still daylight so I had to use a flashlight, 

this is a ruff estimate of what I want to do for my swage block stand, 

the top two lines are 2” apart that’s where the block will set, 

the middle two lines are 12” apart, I was thinking about cutting out one side and welding a plate in there, and a door on the outside, for the purpose of storing swage blocks, 

currently I have a old beat up 75 pound block that I’m using but I’ve kinda got my eye on the hollands 3 pack, an I thought it’d be handy if I built the stand with a storage cabinet to hold the 3 unused ones while the fourth is on top, 

the bottom is an archway just for looks on all four sides, then I plan to weld four small plates one on each foot,

the stand is 30” as is, blocks will stick out 1-2” while laying flat, and farther while standing on end,

what y’all think? Likes or dislikes? 

C8035284-97B6-4740-828B-5C3F416678C0.thumb.jpeg.62401d5648c869a3d82100d3ce5afbd7.jpeg

One little detail: I had originally designed the stand based on measuring one side of the square. Fortunately, before I took saw to metal, I measured the adjacent side and discovered it was actually about 3/16" longer than the first. A quick redesign, and all is well.