I Forge Iron

New grinder won't run. Starts, then slows to stop.

Lord Bob

Okay.  Dropped a lot of beans on a grinder (for me).  Plugged it in.  It's a three phase motor with a variable speed box on.  It'll crank for about 5 seconds, then slow to a stop.  Three phase motor, 220v.  I can post pictures and video, but is there any immediate problem someone can think of?

VFD can be tricky.  Some are designed to convert single phase to three phase.  Some are not at all happy if they have been designed for 50Hz source and you use a 60 Hz source.  Others need quite a bit of programming, or even switching around jumpers to get working properly.  Of course they can also be burned out by misuse, like any electronics, and are prone to overheating or metal dust shorting out if put in the wrong type of enclosure.  The KBAC-27D has become a  pretty common standard here in the states because it is pretty easy to use and fairly bulletproof in a NEMA 4X enclosure.  Others are a lot more of a challenge.